OpenOffice crashing when browsing pages

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mrfrank009

OpenOffice crashing when browsing pages

Post by mrfrank009 »

I have windows 10. My open office is open office 4.1.5. I have a big document full of text. When I go through it I have to go very slowly or else it crashes. Because the document is so big it takes a long time to go through. If I go fast it just crashes. The thing about going through it slowly is I have a bad memory due to mental illness and I will forget what I was doing or what I wanted to type. Can anyone help me?
OpenOffice 4.1.5. on windows
RoryOF

Re: Open office crashing when browsing pages

Post by RoryOF »

If your document uses Heading Styles, comments or other structures, you should be able to move swiftly about it using the Navigator. (F5 key to turn on//off). Simply double click the target structure in Navigator and you will be taken there quickly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How big is your document (/Tools /Word count will tell you) Within reasonable limits, OO can handle very large documents - I have handled files of over 60,000 pages, about 18 million words; normally I would suggest a limit of about 2000 pages or less (this depends on computer speed and amount of memory).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mrfrank009

Post by mrfrank009 »

RoryOF wrote:If your document uses Heading Styles, comments or other structures, you should be able to move swiftly about it using the Navigator. (F5 key to turn on//off). Simply double click the target structure in Navigator and you will be taken there quickly.
so far this is working thank you!
Last edited by mrfrank009 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrfrank009

Post by mrfrank009 »

RoryOF wrote:How big is your document (/Tools /Word count will tell you) Within reasonable limits, OO can handle very large documents - I have handled files of over 60,000 pages, about 18 million words; normally I would suggest a limit of about 2000 pages or less (this depends on computer speed and amount of memory).
mine is 42 pages.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

mine is 42 pages.
That is not too much.

I suppose there is/are some incompatible thing/s/ in your .odt document: Maybe there are incompatible fileformat picture/s/, too large picture/s/, formatting propetries imported from a foreign file format file (for example: from an MS Office file)... etc...

Can you share the file on a free file sharing service?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.