Downloaded AOO onto new device. Not openening email doc

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bowood407

Downloaded AOO onto new device. Not openening email doc

Post by bowood407 »

Hi
Ive used apache OO for ABOUT 13 years with no problems . Now I have trouble with email attachments not opening. An oo icon with a green arrow seems to want to * * *download OO each time I try to open an attachment.
*Brand new Device ASUS Vivobook s14 , Win 10.
*OO 4.1.5 is visible on the desktop
*The problem I had downloading was being asked for choices in drop down boxes for each component. None of which I understood.
Can Any one help or is there a guide to take me thru download
Very disappointing as I know nothing of WORD etc as I havent used it for those 12 yrs. Help
Older non geeky user :crazy:
Open Office 4.1.5
RusselB

Re: Downloaded OO onto new device. Not openening email doc

Post by RusselB »

Did you use OpenOffice on the new device after downloading it, but before these problems came up?
If so, then I suspect that the file associations have been reset due to a Windows 10 update (something that has been reported more than a few times).
You can try re-associating the files with OpenOffice by following [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats

If you haven't used it before, then did you remember to run the installer after downloading it?
The fact that you reference WORD in regards to the files that are attached to e-mail documents gives further support to my first suggestion.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Downloaded OO onto new device. Not openening email doc

Post by John_Ha »

As a workaround detach the file from the email and save it to disk. Now edit it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.