Unlocking files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
andrepsmit

Unlocking files

Post by andrepsmit »

Whenever I open my files, they are locked, and I have to open a copy to update the file and then rename it! How do I ensure that my files are unlocked when opening?
Open Office 4.5 - Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Unlocking files

Post by FJCC »

Please see this topic.
The useful part it:
Close all of your OpenOffice files. Set Windows to show hidden files and folders. You can do this by typing Hidden Files in the search box and following the link to Shows Hidden Files and Folders. Go to the folder where your locked file is and look for files whose name starts with .~lock. After you delete those files, the lock should be removed from your files. These .~lock files are written as a normal part of opening a file but they should be deleted when the file is closed. If the problem returns, we'll have to investigate why that is happening.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Check your Windows Defender settings - are they allowing AOO to delete the lock files?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Arnold45

Post by Arnold45 »

I closed all instances of OpenOffice, deleted the lock file in Explorer, then restarted my laptop. That solved the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10