Can no longer create ODT documents in the most simple way

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Arilando

Can no longer create ODT documents in the most simple way

Post by Arilando »

When right clicking in windows and hovering the mouse over new, you can see a list of new files you can create. On my computer, a new Open Office Document used to be there as an option. It no longer is. I have no idea why. I am on windows 7. This is a big problem, as this is the most simple way of creating a new ODT document.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Can no longer create ODT documents in the most simple wa

Post by Bill »

Something has corrupted your AOO settings in the Windows Registry. Try reinstalling AOO and select the Repair option.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Another simple method of creating a new .odt file, is to start Writer from the Open Office entry in the Windows menu system.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...or you can put the Writer (Calc, Draw, ... etc...) icon onto Dektop manually.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This is a Windows problem. Google add item to new menu for full instructions how to do it - for example Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 10/8/7

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
CrocNZ

Post by CrocNZ »

Sorry, I'm not up to using a Registry Editor. Not on this computer anyway. I'm perfectly willing to blame Microsoft for this difficulty for context menus. I had a brief honeymoon period after I got this Windows 10 computer but now I find myself wanting to smash it on a regular basis. What should be difficult about right-clicking in File Manager and being offered a list of file types I might like to create?

Of course it came "preloaded" with a version of MS Office I don't want, and won't let me install the version I have used for years, that is used by my business computer...
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CrocNZ wrote:What should be difficult about right-clicking in File Manager and being offered a list of file types I might like to create?
Nothing, if your Windows Registry hasn't been corrupted. The list is generated from settings stored in the Registry. If the settings in the Registry are corrupt, then the generated list will also be corrupt. Windows can't add a file type to a list without the settings from the Registry. This isn't anything new in Windows 10. It probably goes back at least to Windows 95.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

CrocNZ wrote:Sorry, I'm not up to using a Registry Editor.
1. Take a System Restore point.
2. Follow the instructions and edit the registry.
3. If things go pear-shaped, go back to the System Restore point you took - it will back out any changes you made.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.