[Solved] - Can't set OpenOffice as default for .xls files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Toller

[Solved] - Can't set OpenOffice as default for .xls files

Post by Toller »

I am trying to download some data from a website in Excel format. It says it can't because I don't have a program capable of using it; and refers me to setting default apps in settings. I go there and when I try by App it doesn't offer .XLS as a choice for OpenOffice. When I try by file type, it shows .XLS but says I don't have anything installed suitable.

Well! I use .XLS as the default format when I save OpenOffice spreadsheets, so it obvious is capable of using them. Why can't I choose OO as default for them?

Now... I can start OO and tell it to open the file in the download directory. It comes up with an import function; when I choose tab delimited it open up just fine. I initially thought the website was simply downloading tab delimited files instead of excel, even though the file has an .XLS extension, but that doesn't explain why setting won't let me make OO default for .XLS

Any way to make this work the way it seems like it should?
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
Openoffice 4.1.3 on Windows10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Can't set OpenOffice as default for .xls files

Post by Villeroy »

This is because Windows has become the worst desktop system of all times, particularly when you never learned how to tame the beast.

[Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Reinstall AOO and select the option to make AOO the default program for opening Excel files. That should install the Registry keys that let Windows know that Calc can open .xls files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Toller

Post by Toller »

That fixed the app default problem.
It didn't fix the file downloading as tab delimited, but I expect that is a problem with the website.
Thanks
Openoffice 4.1.3 on Windows10
robleyd

Re: Solved - Can't set OpenOffice as default for .xls files

Post by robleyd »

It is not uncommon that websites provide delimited text files under the .xls extension - it makes for a smaller file and is capable of being opened by most spreadsheet applications; they can also be imported into some database applications if needed.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers