[Solved] Cannot open existing files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
emspher

[Solved] Cannot open existing files

Post by emspher »

I created a new .odt by copying an existing one. I am creating form letters, so just cut and paste new address, date etc. to an existing one.
I printed it out, went to do the next form letter. Could not copy or paste or delete or edit this one. All locked up.
Shut down the PC (windows 10, OO 4.1.2) to 'reboot'.
Restart.
Now in file manager, dbl click on any .odt or .ods, circle rotates, circle disappears. Nothing opens. I can open photos, .pdf.
This is so bad, it must be a simple setting or something.
Help appreciated.
Last edited by emspher on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Cannot open existing files

Post by Zizi64 »

Now in file manager, dbl click on any .odt or .ods, circle rotates, circle disappears. Nothing opens. I can open photos, .pdf.
This is so bad, it must be a simple setting or something.
Can you open these files from the Apache OpenOffice by usage the menu item "File - Open" or "File - Recent documents"?
Can you upload a sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
emspher

Post by emspher »

RoryOF - There are no office processes active, just Firefox.

Zizi 64 - I use File Explorer (not File Manager as I prev stated) to access my letter files. I only see the file drop down menu (with Recent Files and Open) when I am in a file. Is there another way to get to that drop down menu?
Sorry I don't know how to upload a letter file to here. Can you explain?
I get no messages -- just no action when I try.
When I right click - I can see that I am named to have access.
Thanks for the quick responses. I have to go to sleep now.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

"soffice" processes and enable to view processes for all users.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Sorry I don't know how to upload a letter file to here. Can you explain?
You will see TAB-s below the page when you use the Button "POSTREPLY" but not the "Quick Reply". Click on the TAB "Upload attachment". The file size limit is 128 KiB in this forum.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I only see the file drop down menu (with Recent Files and Open) when I am in a file. Is there another way to get to that drop down menu?
You are not in a FILE only, but you are in an Apache OpenOffice application in this case. The AOO applications are the softwares that can open an ODF or other type document. The File explorer/File manager can not open any document file, it can only redirect a document to the relevant application.
The File - Recent document is a property of the Apache Openoffice and the LibreOffice software packs. Launch it before you try to use the "File - Recent..." or the "File - Open" function.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Zizi64 wrote:Can you open these files from the Apache OpenOffice by usage the menu item "File - Open" or "File - Recent documents"?
Was there an answer to this question yet? I didn't find one.

@RoryOF: Can sleeping soffice processes persist shutdown/reboot?

A new istall of OpenOffice (existing version 4.1.2 in 'Repair' mode or current version 4.1.5 from new download 'Typical') might be the easiest way to re-establish working registry entries.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I know, left-over soffice processes can persist through shutdown but I don't use Windows so have now current experience.

If a file can be opened by starting OpenOffice and using /File /Open, but not by doubleclicking on the file, then this is a sign that the file association is damaged (deleted).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi64 wrote:
Can you open these files from the Apache OpenOffice by usage the menu item "File - Open" or "File - Recent documents"?
Was there an answer to this question yet? I didn't find one.
There was an answer that associable to the question:
I use File Explorer (not File Manager as I prev stated) to access my letter files. I only see the file drop down menu (with Recent Files and Open) when I am in a file. Is there another way to get to that drop down menu?
That means (for me): The original poster do not know it, how the "applications" and the "document files" are related together.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Zizi64 wrote:...That means (for me): The original poster do not know it, how the "applications" and the "document files" are related together.
Hmmm. Probably an additional reason to suggest a 'Repair' or a upgrade to V 4.1.5.

Concerning the soffice processes:
After a failed attempt to open a file associated with OpenOffice its always recommendable to kill pending soffice processes (and/or a sleeping OpenOffice application) in the TaskManager.

Concerning the terms:
"File manager" is a generalizing term for software/tools used to manage files and folders and to search the file system.
The common file-manager provided with Win is the 'Explorer' (explorer.exe).

OpenOffice cannot only be opened by opening a associated file (.odt .ods ...) from a file-manager, but also by directly calling it. (Mostly an icon for this is created on the desktop during a standard install.) When called without a document first, OpenOffice (the "desktop" of it) offers the menu path 'File' > 'Open' to select any document for opening using a file-picker looking similar to a file-manager. There are also buttons then for 'Open' and nxt to it a dropdown arrow which produces a list of recently used files for picking.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
emspher

Post by emspher »

[SOLVED]Lupp and Zizi64 and RoryOF-Thanks for your quick responses.
This AM, it is working. I went into File Explorer first before starting Firefox and my files opened as normal. So I will mark this problem 'Solved' as soon as I figure out how.

I always access my OO files from File Explorer, so tis true I never gave much thought to how the app and the files are related .
I do have the OO 4.1.2 icon on my desktop and if this happens again, I will try that route to access files.

Btw, I don't know what “soffice” refers to. I thought it was a typo. Does it mean everything related to OO ?
If I have to reinstall, do I have a choice as to version?
Thanks again from Oregon, US
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The internal processes of OpenOffice are shown as "soffice". You can download and install OO 4.1.5 without uninstalling earlier OO version 4.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot open existing files

Post by Zizi64 »

Btw, I don't know what “soffice” refers to. I thought it was a typo.
It was not a typo. The "soffice" is the name of the main executable part of the office suite. I suppose the name was inherited from the StarOffice era.