Does OpenOffice auto-uninstall if a user is inactive?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
oncetwicekingdomcome

Post by oncetwicekingdomcome »

Hello there,

I think I've installed OpenOffice like three times since last year. I make a document using OpenOffice, and two months later if I come back to open that file, OpenOffice itself is gone. At first when it happened, I just reinstall thinking I may have uninstall it by mistake. I installed against just last December, 2017. And again two days ago.

Is it normal thing for OpenOffice to auto uninstall itself if a user doesn't use the software frequently? That's the only thing I can think of. I rarely use the PC at home.

Or, is it Microsoft thing? Is it possible Windows is removing software like this without even asking my permission...hope I don't sound so paranoid but, it's rather bizzare. I'm hoping third time is a charm, this time it will stay on my pc.

It's just the OpenOffice that does things like that.

Newbie from BC, Canada.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Does OpenOffice auto-uninstall if a user is inactive?

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not auto-uninstall. I think it is Windows 10 updates changing things.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

In Windows 10, Windows update (I think that's it) sometimes reassigns default applications for certain functions. In particular, I have seen it happen - repeatedly - with default web browser and PDF file handler (reset to Edge) and OOXML/ODF Office document files (reset to MS Office applications, even when MS Office is not installed on the computer). It occurred on at least 3 occasions during the last six months.

The telltale sign that this has happened is a message on startup/login, along the lines of "Windows detected a problem with an application, and has reset default actions." When this happens, the applications are still there, but no longer set as default applications. Double clicking on a text document file opens Word (or suggests that you install Word from MS Store), but you can still start Writer to open the window first, then open your document from there.

Might this apply to your situation?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You can confirm that Apache OpenOffice is still installed, although not the default program, by looking in All Programs on the Start menu - or however it is called in Windows 10.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Absolutely not. Your problem is related to the update of the Win 10.

(I downgraded to the Win 7 because there are lots of similar problems with the Win 10.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Zizi64 wrote:...
(I downgraded to the Win 7 because there are lots of similar problems with the Win 10.)
Side note:
When Windows 8 came about, our equipment supplier would sell all computers with Win8 preinstalled, with optional "free Windows 7 upgrade" (yes, you read that right, upgrade, not downgrade). While Win10 is a whole lot better than -8 in many ways, it does have some quirks we could do very well without. So, perhaps Win7 is still an "upgrade" (alas, not freely available from our supplier anymore :-( ).