OO opening incorrectly to PC documents ???

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Rowan6

OO opening incorrectly to PC documents ???

Post by Rowan6 »

Suddenly, when I click on 'open' to access my documents, the page that opens is PC - documents. I looked online and tried various suggestions (mostly involving Default Programmes) but nothing has worked to restore access. Am a newbie in need of help! Should I just uninstall OO and reinstall, or will that make all my documents vanish?
Open Office 3 Laptop
FJCC

Re: OO opening incorrectly to PC documents ???

Post by FJCC »

Do you know where you where saving the document? If it was on your desktop, there should be a side bar on the left of the window that opens when you click Open and that side bar should have a link to the desktop.
You can also search for a document. If you are on Windows 10, just type the document name in the box that says "Type here to search".
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Rowan6

Post by Rowan6 »

The document(s) have all been saved on OO. Previously I would click on 'open' and the list came up. Now the page goes to PC - documents. The side bar lists all the other possibilities but the document(s) shouldn't be anywhere but in OO.
Open Office 3 Laptop
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The document(s) have all been saved on OO.
The question was: Where you savd then to? Which directory of your HDD was the documents saved to?

What fileformat are you using for your documents? Do you use the "automatic file name extension" option of the Save dialog?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Rowan6 wrote:The document(s) have all been saved on OO. Previously I would click on 'open' and the list came up. Now the page goes to PC - documents. The side bar lists all the other possibilities but the document(s) shouldn't be anywhere but in OO.
Documents are saved in a folder in the file system. Did you select a folder named OO when you saved your files? The Save As dialog generally opens in the last folder used, If you want a document to be saved in a particular folder, you have to navigate to that folder on the Save As dialog before clicking the Save button.

When you click "Open", the Open dialog opens in the last folder used. If the file you want to open is in a different folder, you have to navigate to that folder on the Open dialog before you can select the file to be opened.

If you have an OO folder, you can probably add it to the sidebar. Use Google to find instructions.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Rowan6

Post by Rowan6 »

They are saved (Save As) in ODFText Document (.odt) I have managed to find the documents in a file in 'Documents' and copied them to a external hard drive. But I still cannot open them from OO ???
Open Office 3 Laptop
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What Operating System are you using? There are some problems with the user rights after updating the Windows 10.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Rowan6

Post by Rowan6 »

Using Windows 8. For various reasons 10 isn't possible.
Open Office 3 Laptop
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

They are saved (Save As) in ODFText Document (.odt) I have managed to find the documents in a file in 'Documents' and copied them to a external hard drive. But I still cannot open them from OO ???
Please upload one of the problematic documents here.