unable to work in Excel format

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
juletahirner

unable to work in Excel format

Post by juletahirner »

I recently installed open office 4.1.5 on my PC. microsoft office 10 on PC. I can open my excel docs from microsoft office programs, but cannot work/ make changes in them . I get the 'subscription expired' message from microsoft office.
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo in Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
open office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: unable to work in Excel format

Post by FJCC »

How exactly are you opening these files? Do you start OpenOffice and then use the menu File -> Open?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you're getting a "subscription expired" message from MS Office, then the files are opening in MS Office, not OpenOffice. You need to change the Default Program setting in Windows 10 so they open in OpenOffice instead of MS Office.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
kitkon1

Post by kitkon1 »

I also get the "subscription expired" notice from MS and cannot find a way to turn off the MS.
OpenOffice4.11; windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try using Control Panel /Add-Remove programs to remove MS Office, then reinstall OpenOffice.

Or, as Bill said earlier, change the default setting for your documents/spreadsheets so that they open with OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Note also that you may have used Microsoft's OOXML format when saving in Excel (this is a sensible choice when working in MS Office). OpenOffice can read that format fine, but will not write. When you save, a new file will be created with the storage format of your choice. The xlsx/xlsm file you opened will be untouched.

If you must use the OOXML format, consider installing LibreOffice.