[Solved] OpenOffice compatible with Windows 10 updates?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
captkraus

[Solved] OpenOffice compatible with Windows 10 updates?

Post by captkraus »

i downloaded 4.1.5 recently. When i click on the new icon, i get a message that i need to find "soffice.exe" but no such file exists in my computer. i cannot pin the program to my start bar or my Task bar. Microsoft recently downloaded new Windows 10 updates a few days ago. since then i have had printer issues and Open Office issues.
Last edited by captkraus on Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Is Open Office compatible with the new Windows 10 update

Post by RoryOF »

Did you double click the downloaded file to install OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Your computer belongs to Microsoft. If they don't want you to run a certain software, they find ways to nudge you into the right direction, e.g. restricting access to your own files to trusted applications (trusted by them, of course). This is what they call "trusted computing".
Reportedly, the so called "Windows Defender" has a lot of side effects to OpenOffice: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=93521 defending Windows from free software.

After installing OpenOffice on a 64bit Windows system, you should find the executable under C:\user_name\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice4\program\soffice.exe (replace user_name with your actual login name).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

that did not work. i found the file soffice.exe in the .cab installation file, put it on my desktop and then when the Open Office icon is clicked on and it asks for the soffice.exe file and i click on the file on my Desktop nothing happens. Frankly i am tired and don't have time to screw around with this tonight. I think I will just pay for Microsoft Office unless i can get this to work. It did for several years but I think Microsoft has figured out how to crush it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If soffice.exe is only showing up in the .cab file the it seems as if you did not install OpenOffice after downloading; or else as if an install did not execute correctly.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

i now have 4 years of documents that i cannot access including all my tax return information. Open Office is a joke.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are not helping us to help you. Please answer the questions you have been asked if you want help. But if you wish, acquire some other product.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

What question? Why is Pooh's birthday relevant? Open Office will not install properly. C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\nsnBD27.tmp\1\. What does this mean? I also get a message that says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable, Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "opeonfficeorg31msi in the box below"

When i click on OK i get "the file C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\OpenOffice 4.1.5 (en-us) Installation Files\openoffice415.msi is not a valid installation package for the product OpenOffice.org 3.1' in a folder from which you can install OpenOffice.org 3.1

When I click on OK in that box, I get "Error 1714. the older version of OpenOffice 4.1.5 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

What technical support group? i live alone and this is my personal computer.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

Will Microsoft 365 open my files? It is worth whatever the cost is to recover all my documents for the last five years. They cannot be opened now.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

Frankly all the messages i get when i try to install the Apache program seems like a lot of gibberish.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

Will this program work? File Viewer Plus 2 and it's only $60
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

https://newcontinuum.dl.sourceforge.net ... _en-US.exe

this is the link that does not work.
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP

What does this mean?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The results you report give the error number 1714; this indicates that Windows is confused about where the old files were. A long posting at
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78765&p=361180&hilit=1714#p361180
gives a sequence to solve this.

However, it may be quicker and simpler for you to download and use LibreOffice, which for most purposes you should find functionally equivalent to OpenOffice.

Bear in mind that I have no experience with current Windows versions as I use Xubuntu as my operating system (as set out in my forum signature). You may chose to wait for advice from some other volunteer using an up to date version of Windows (see that volunteer's forum signature for such information) .
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

If You have no experience with Windows, why are you trying to give me advice about Windows. is there someone else who knows something about Windows? Who ever heard of Xunbantu. This has been a total waste of my time. Free advice is worth exactly what it cost.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I did not say that I had "no experience with Window", merely that I had no experience with "current Windows versions".

I'm off this thread; I have more important things to do.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

captkraus wrote:i now have 4 years of documents that i cannot access including all my tax return information. Open Office is a joke.
Trust me - this has nothing to do with Open Office and everything to do with your use or misuse of the PC and / or Microsoft Windows.
captkraus wrote:i downloaded 4.1.5 recently. When i click on the new icon, i get a message that i need to find "soffice.exe" but no such file exists in my computer. i cannot pin the program to my start bar or my Task bar.
It sounds like you have uninstalled AOO.

Whether you have or have not is now immaterial: just download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html and install it. All will be fixed. You may need to tell Windows Defender to trust AOO and install it; and then tell Windows Defender to trust all the AOO exe files.

Try opening a .odt file by double clicking on it. If that does not work, make sure AOO is given all its default files by Control Panel > Default Programs. You can always open a .odt file by starting AOO and going File > Open ..., and navigating to the file.
captkraus wrote:Microsoft recently downloaded new Windows 10 updates a few days ago. since then i have had printer issues and Open Office issues.
Quelle surprise! Search the forum with won't print or similar and you will find that Microsoft Windows 10 updates install the wrong printer driver stopping AOO printing. Download the correct driver from the manufacturer's website and install it. All will be fixed.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

captkraus wrote:Open Office is a joke.
That's funny how a Windows update messing up the system becomes an OpenOffice issue!
Just my 2 cents, couldn't resist.
All has been said already.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

captkraus wrote:If You have no experience with Windows, why are you trying to give me advice about Windows. is there someone else who knows something about Windows?
If you need help with Windows 10 from someone using Windows 10, try a Windows 10 forum. I don't qualify since I stopped using Windows 10 two weeks ago.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Is OpenOffice compatible with the new Windows 10 updates

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I use Open Office 4.1.5 on both Windows 10 Professional and Windows 10 Home so I can vouch that Open Office works fine with Windows 10.

If you haven't uninstalled the software yet you might try to repair it first.

I don't know what you are using for Antivirus software, but you may need to disable it.
I use Norton and it reports that the downloads are safe and during installation it asks if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I select Yes.

Right click on the Windows icon at the bottom left corner of the screen, and select Settings
From the Windows Settings dialog select Apps & features.
Scroll down the list and click on OpenOffice 4.1.5
Click on Modify to open the Installation Wizard for OpenOffice.
Select Next
On the Program Maintenance screen select Repair
Select Next to begin the repair process
If that finishes without reporting any errors you should be good to go.
 Edit: It seems there a lots of people having issues since the April 2018 update to Windows 10. It trashed my home network. 
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
captkraus

Re: Solved OpenOffice compatible with Windows 10 updates?

Post by captkraus »

I still do not know how i did it but i successfully downloaded OO 4.5.1. i just sort of reloaded the installation files, Did NOT check "remove old versions"!! and it downloaded. the issue seemed to be the new installation to remove the old version which was 3.1 and over 4 years old. Good luck. You will need it. Now I seem to have both in my list of apps and still cannot remove 3.1. Oh well.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice compatible with Windows 10 updates?

Post by Hagar Delest »

There are cleaning applications like CCleaner to remove such remains.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
captkraus

Post by captkraus »

I think I will leave it for old time's sake.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.