Updated BUT... now my spreadsheet will only open as a text.

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
solosunday

Updated BUT... now my spreadsheet will only open as a text.

Post by solosunday »

Hello! First time posting. I updated OpenOffice yesterday and as a result, it seems my memory has been wiped and when I try to open an important spreadsheet, I find that it has been completely stripped of data and wants to open as a text document. It had been saved as an .xls in the prior version and never had a problem. Is there a track to retrieving the data? Is it possible that running AdAware or ccleaner could have caused this?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10 I think
FJCC

Re: Updated BUT... now my spreadsheet will only open as a te

Post by FJCC »

Your file is badly corrupted try this tutorial to recover temporary or back up versions.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Updated BUT... now my spreadsheet will only open as a te

Post by Zizi64 »

It had been saved as an .xls in the prior version and never had a problem.
Never use the old, obsolete, never-standardized foreign fileformats. Store your important document into the native, International Standard ODF filetypes. (And export a copy in a foreign fileformat - if it is necessary.)

And always create more than one backup of the document with timestamped filenames.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86742

Can you upload the 'damaged' file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.