Can't print

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Songbird02

Can't print

Post by Songbird02 »

I can't print from OO since last night. I have a Kodak printer and have been on chat with Kodak support. They had remote access to my laptop to check everything and asked me to print from another application. I can print from any other application. I haven't changed any settings etc. so I don't know what has caused this. Any help would be appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Can't print

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the OpenOffice Help Forum.
As this problem is strictly with OpenOffice and has started recently, my first suggestion is to do a reset of your OpenOffice User Profile, as described here
This seems to fix a lot of different problems that come up suddenly and seem to have no bearing on anything else.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If that does not resolve the problem, it is possible that a recent Win10 update has changed something related to your printer driver. Make sure you have the most recent printer driver - from the printer manufacturer - and uninstall and reinstall your printer.

This seems to have solved similar problems for others who have reported an issue here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Songbird02

Post by Songbird02 »

Thank you both for replying. I've tried both of your suggestions and I still can't print. I installed a windows update the previous day and did suspect that was causing the problem.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did you go to the printer manufacturer's web site and download the correct printer driver (probably 64 bit)?

W10 seems to install incorrect printer drivers when doing updates - see these posts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Songbird02

Post by Songbird02 »

Thanks. I downloaded the latest driver from the Kodak site but still can't print from OO. I appreciate all the replies.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

And you uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, not just updated the driver?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try resetting your profile. Stop AOO. Go to C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user and rename ...\user to ...\user_old. Start AOO. You will be asked for you name. Does printing now work? If you want to copy back your customisations copy back everything from ...\user_old except do not copy back registrymodifications.xcu nor ...\user\config. You may need to use Control Panel > Folder options ... to make hidden files visible so as to see the folder.

That being said, I am pretty sure this is a Windows problem. AOO is a 32 bit application. The printer driver is almost certainly a 64 bit application. Windows includes software which allows a 32 bit application to talk to a 64 bit printer. So I think that "printing from 32 bit applications" has stopped working which is why only AOO seems to be affected. I think it is a Windows update which caused the problem.

1. Use System Restore to go back to a previous state when printing was working. Does it now work? If so just leave the PC to update itself.

2. Or, can you back out any updates which Windows installed recently.

3. As a workaround, create a PDF and print the PDF.

4. If nothing works uninstall AOO and re-install it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.