[Solved] Problem with C++ on Installing OpenOffice 4.1.5

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
eldritch

[Solved] Problem with C++ on Installing OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by eldritch »

Having a problem installing OpenOffice because C++ isn't installing. It's getting hung up somehow.

Just bought a new computer; HP Elite 8200 SFF. It's an older reconditioned computer, which has Windows 10 on it and I assume its disk was reformatted. I've installed only Firefox, Opera browsers, and Avira Anti-virus. Those installations went smoothly. Now I'm attempted to install OpenOffice 4.1.5.

Went to the OpenOffice website which referred me to SourceForge for the download, which proceeded automatically. Didn't have to click anything to get it going.

Double clicked the installation file. Got Windows asking me if I really wanted this program to make changes to the computer. I've been using Windows XP up until now. First time I've seen this msg. Assume 'changes' means installing the damn program. Clicked YES and then sat back to wait.

The computer had a lot of trouble. Lots and lots of disk read/writes. Watched a couple TV shows. 2 hours later, the computer was still struggling. At this point, I figured that even Job would run out of patience, so I clicked CANCEL installation.

Got a message telling me that I had to undo what had been installed so far. Clicked YES, which started the disk read/writes again. Went on and on. Went to bed.

This morning an error messages awaited me.

Here are the error messages:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x64 9.0.307
Error 2203. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

Next dialog box
Error 1704. An installation for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable – x64 9.0.30729.6161 is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?
Yes No

If I click YES, it struggles without stopping again. If I click NO, the dialog box disappears for 1/2 second and then returns. More clicking just puts me in an infinite loop.

I tried to find help by reading this forum. Didn't any C++ problems. Tried a fresh download. New installation. Same results.

Went to what used to be called the Control Panel do uninstall, but neither OpenOffice nor C++ were listed as installed programs.

Is there a way to un-suspend or un-lock?

Any help??

Edd
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Problem with C++ on Installing OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Windows user, but I know that error 1704 has come up on the Forum. I suggest you use the Forum search (top right of Forum window) to search for 1704. You may also (I'm not certain) need to upgrade your Visual C++ redistributable - I suspect the 1704 threads will tell you and how.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Read the error messages!

It looks like AOO is OK but a Windows 10 update has not properly installed. Google error 1704 to find 1.5 million hits like Error 1704. Please help Me Microsoft community

1. Try rebooting - that may force the update.
2. Check the status of your Windows updates. Backout the last update if W10 allows it.
3. Try forcing an update of Windows 10.
4. google for the windows update tool - it fixes Windows update problems
5. Run chkdsk to check the disk - google it.
6. Run System File Checker by scf /scannow to check the W10 files. google for more information.
7. Roll back to a previous working W10 with System Restore - google it. Now allow W10 to update - leave it running overnight if necessary.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
eldritch

Post by eldritch »

Thanks to both of you for your help. I followed both your advice.

I did a search for error 1704 and I ran sfc /scannow. And then I decided to deal with other problems first. I was a little maxed out. OpenOffice wouldn't install. Neither would GoogleEarth. Figured out how to sync Opera, but Firefox on XP wouldn't sync, so I had to get into it's bowels to transfer my profile. Then Thunderbird. Knocking them off one by one.

Today I bit the bullet to tackle OpenOffice. And presto, it installed all by itself with no problem. You had suggested rebooting to force a Windows update. Maybe that was it. I'd rebooted a number of times since. I checked the Windows update log and found it's updated twice since my post here. I'm guessing that repaired the problem. sfc found no errors. Running chkdsk now.

Thanks.

Edd
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10