OpenOffice 4.1.3 is not responding

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
HelpIamlost

OpenOffice 4.1.3 is not responding

Post by HelpIamlost »

Can anyone help me? OpenOffice writer has often gone into Document Recovery when I open it .... then it recovers the listed documents.
Today - same start - but it does not recover any documents and the top of that window keeps saying "Open Office 4.1.3 (not responding)" - so I have closed it to start again... and again... and again... more than 5 hours now. It will not recover the documents - it will not open a new document - I have tried via Start-all programs-Office... and cannot get it to open at all, despite "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." How can I fix this???
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.3 is not responding

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM''s tabs. If you get the "recovery" message, tell it not to recover.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
HelpIamlost

Post by HelpIamlost »

Thanks for this info, including the easy way to get Task Manager.
Done that - only one item. OpenOffice has now opened - don't know what has happened the non recovery items.
Is this going to keep happening???
Also, if I should tell it not to recover anything, this is going to cause further problems as it will all be lost, it seemed the recovery operation was the only thing to save stuff, which is why I obviously did that before.

Looked through documents - found 2 documents had saved but their titles have "%" between each word !!!
Opened one - tried to "save as" - it will NOT save under any title at all.
What on earth is going one and how can I save under a normal title?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice should only prompt for recovery when it terminates abnormally - either due to a program or a computer crash. There is _NO_ guarantee that it will in fact prompt for a recovery or that such a recovery will actually be successful, although it usually is. If one gets regular abnormal terminations it is worth investigating why.

It is also best to make regular timed/dated backups of any important work; there is an extension to do this downloadable from viewtopic.php?p=406045

When working on any important work it is good practice to immediately name it (/File /Save as) and press Ctrl S to Save whenever you think of it and certainly before you leave the computer for whatever reason.

If the files found have %20, or similar % sequences in their filenames, these are representations of actual characters - %20 is a space, other sequences can be found in a table of ASCII characters. Such files may be saved by replacing the %nn sequence by the correct character, or more simply by simply deleting it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS