[Solved] Denied access to files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
gregm

[Solved] Denied access to files

Post by gregm »

Open Office is unable to open my pre-existing files in my Documents folder, including .odt, .ods and .txt files. The message is "You don't have permission to open this file." Notepad can open any of these files although of course it cannot resolve the non-text parts of the files. Other applications can open files in this folder which are related to those applications. I have uninstalled OO 4.1.5 and re-installed 4.1.1 but it gives the same results. This problem has only been noticed since Windows did an upgrade a few days ago.

ADDITIONAL TO ABOVE: Contrary to the file signature, I am using version 4.1.5, O/S is Win 8.1 on an ASUS notepad computer. I don't know what a UCP is to alter the signature.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Denied access to files

Post by Bill »

Windows XP hasn't been upgraded for years. If you're not using XP, then please correct your signature.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
gregm

Post by gregm »

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 8.1, notepad ASUS x64-based system
gregm

Post by gregm »

Still denied access to files, even those I have just created. Files can be copied, moved or deleted under Windows. Windows has just done another update which I hoped might have corrected whatever it did last week but it was not to be. I have tried doing a complete uninstall of Open Office and a new install but that did not fix it. Please note updated signature.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please note updated signature.
Thank you.

You can try reset your AOO user profile,
or you can try set the default saving paths to an another target place where you CAN access to files. Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice - Paths. My first steps are - after every Windows installation - to move the Documents directory into an another (built-in) HDD from the Users directory of the System HDD. (It prevents the data loss and will not need lots of copiing of my documents when a reinstall needed on the system HDD)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
gregm

Post by gregm »

Reset user profile: still doesn't work.
Changed default location for My Documents: still doesn't work.
Yes, I do copy the contents of my Documents file on the main HDD to an external HDD on a regular basis to prevent loss, but OpenOffice cannot open them from that location either.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can you open a file if you right click on one and select "Run as Administrator"? (words to that effect)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gregm

Post by gregm »

Under Win 8.1 "Open as Administrator" or similar is not one of the options offered under right-click.
gregm

Post by gregm »

Problem has mysteriously disappeared after a restart of Windows. Thanks for all the suggestions.