Install starts when opening Writer file

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
BeaglesGuy

Install starts when opening Writer file

Post by BeaglesGuy »

[Low priority. This is more annoyance than problematic.]

Every few weeks when I open an existing Writer document (.odt), the OO installation starts instead of opening the file. Canceling the install doesn't stop the problem. From then on, the install will start every time I use Writer, new or existing file.

I let install use my old settings, click Next, and immediately get the Finish screen. It resets to the default template, but my saved template is still there and I can set it to be my default. (My other custom templates are still there too.) Various toolbars/sidebar are set to view/hide and appear in different (default?) locations, but my toolbar customizations are still there.

I use Writer 80%, Calc 20%, no other OO programs. Haven't noticed the issue running Calc.

I understand I might have to upgrade to the current release to see if the issue persists. However, it is unlikely that can happen anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
~Mike

Current:
OO 4.1.0
AOO410m18(Build:9764) - Rev. 1589052
2014-04-22 11:43:54 (Di, 22 Apr 2014)

Former was OO 3.3, per my memory, not sure. Almost empty folder still there named "OpenOffice.org 3".

Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 2

Toshiba Satellite L355 (Intel), 3GB RAM

Can't upgrade OS (h/w restriction).
Can't afford newer laptop, yet.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows Vista
Windows Vista Home Basic SP2
Hagar Delest

Re: Install starts when opening Writer file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome tot he forum!

Do you mean this is really the installation wizard and not the mere dialog for personal data (name...)?
First time I see this. Have you checked the file association? Perhaps it has been set to the installer (if still there) instead of the correct soffice.exe.
Right click a .odt file and see what is to be used in the Open with field in the Properties of that file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BeaglesGuy

Post by BeaglesGuy »

Thanks for the welcome. It's a testament to the software that I've been using OpenOffice for over a decade and this is the first time I need outside help.

Yes, it is the installation wizard that runs.
The association for ".odt" opens with OpenOffice Writer, as it should.
I use Writer many times every day. The issue occurs every ~2-4 weeks. So it works fine dozens to hundreds of times, then out of blue ... OO installation wizard starts instead of Writer.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows Vista
Windows Vista Home Basic SP2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

First time I see this I think.
Have you tried to install the latest (4.1.5) version? The only think I can think of is that the new version is downloaded and then tries to install. But can't see why it would do that without you knowing about it.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We need to be precise: is it the full install process whereby the install files are unpacked in your desktop, or merely the request for your name and initials (registration)? We can suggest a solution for this latter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The term "install starts" is vague. Please post a screen shot of the first window that opens when "install starts" so we don't have to guess exactly what is happening when "install starts".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04