Fonts: Is there a way to hide unwanted fonts?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
charlesjacob4695

Fonts: Is there a way to hide unwanted fonts?

Post by charlesjacob4695 »

Windows Vista has a lot of fonts I'll never use, such as the Asian language fonts. Some of them are easy to uninstall from Vista, but others are a bear! :crazy: It would help a lot not to have to scroll through them every time I want to use something other than the default font. Is there a way to hide them from OO? Or at least from OO Writer? from sextoy uy tin smile.
Last edited by charlesjacob4695 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Jacob
89 Endeavour Drive
SULLIVAN SA 5607
OpenOffice 3.1
RoryOF

Re: Fonts: Is there a way to hide unwanted fonts?

Post by RoryOF »

I am not a current Windows user, but years ago, there used be "Font Managers", which allowed one to build custom collections of fonts, and switch the chosen collection in or out of service; the fonts in the chosen collection were all that Windows could see at that time. I don't know if these are still available.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Fonts: Is there a way to hide unwanted fonts?

Post by John_Ha »

Writer finds all installed fonts. Uninstall those you don't want. Try AMP Font Manager.

If you do, remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.