[Solved] Are my OpenOffice files corrupted?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Canna W

[Solved] Are my OpenOffice files corrupted?

Post by Canna W »

I'm afraid I'm very ignorant....

Someone set up OpenOffice for me, and I have been using it for years. On my desktop I made 3 templates, a page with single line spacing, another with double line spacing, and one with my address at the top (ie my 'letter' paper). I use these templates all the time to create other documents. Tonight I can't open any of them, nor can I open any of my other OpenOffice files. Where they are listed, the files are all described as "Microsoft Word 97-2003". When I click on the OpenOffice icon in my bottom toolbar - nothing happens.

I would be incredibly grateful if someone could help me restore everything back to normality.

(I did do a search, but I think I was describing the problem incorrectly.)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Are my Open Office files corrupted?

Post by jrkrideau »

I doubt that the files are corrupted. It sounds more like the link from the icons to AOO have been lost.

Try going to the Start Menu and open AOO from there for a start. If it opens do File > Open, navigate to the Desktop and see if you can open one of the files.

Do you also have MS Word installed?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Canna W

Re: Are my OpenOffice files corrupted?

Post by Canna W »

jrkrideau wrote:I doubt that the files are corrupted. It sounds more like the link from the icons to AOO have been lost.

Try going to the Start Menu and open AOO from there for a start. If it opens do File > Open, navigate to the Desktop and see if you can open one of the files.

Do you also have MS Word installed?
Hi, and thank you very much for responding.

I just tried to open one of my OpenOffice files again - and this time it was fine. Then I tested more, and they were fine too. I have no idea what when wrong with my computer when I wrote my initial question - but now everything seems okay......and what a huge relief that is! I am sorry to have wasted your time.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7