The latest version of Writer: trojan report

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ThomasDixon

The latest version of Writer: trojan report

Post by ThomasDixon »

An hour ago, I installed the latest version of OpenOffice (4.1.5). Installation went OK. Upon invoking the Writer application, my antivirus reported a trojan named "CloudScan" in the Writer. The antivirus suggested cleaning option which I chose. The Writer app stopped. I uninstalled OpenOffice immediately. Before this version, I used the version 4.1.3 that worked perfectly, no trojans or viruses messages. My system (Microsoft Windows 8.1, licensed) is being scanned for viruses frequently, no suspicious activities or virus reports for 2 years at least. My antivirus is Comodo Free Suite, automatically updated.

After uninstalling OpenOffice 4.1.5., I have installed LibreOffice, the latest version (6.0.2.1). Installation OK, the LibreOfficeWriter app works OK, no trojans/viruses messages, which makes it unlikely that there is a trojan elsewhere in my system. My opinion is, your latest version invokes a "false positive" message of Comodo.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8.1
robleyd

Re: The latest version of Writer: trojan report

Post by robleyd »

Did you download version 4.1.5 from the official site via http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ?

Note: it is not our software - this forum is for users, with support provided by users.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is not unusual for a new version of OO or of any program to trigger a "false positive" from an antivirus application.

We recommend downloading only through http://www.openoffice.org/download which will automatically redirect to a SourceForge server where the files are stored. The download will start in about five seconds, with no need to click on anything on the download page. If in any doubts about the integrity of the downloaded file, this can be checked using the methods described in
How to verify the integrity of the downloaded file?

If the file passes this test it is as it left the code factory with no unwanted additions.
 Edit: as there are hooks in OO to enable automatic checking of updates, both of the program and of extensions, these often trigger "false positive" warnings, particularly on older (not updated) antivirus versions. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ThomasDixon

Post by ThomasDixon »

Thanks for the quick reply. It's exactly how I have downloaded it the last time. I assumed it's a false positive, too.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8.1