[Solved] Unable to install v 4.1.5 Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Donnaclark

[Solved] Unable to install v 4.1.5 Windows 10

Post by Donnaclark »

Message reads, "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the installation vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." I have restarted my computer, downloaded Open Office multiple times, used two different browsers, unregistered and reregistered the Windows installer, all with the same result. I have Open Office installed on two other computers, one directly from Apache maybe 2 yrs ago, and the other via CNET just last week, as SourceForge (?) did not respond to download request. I also tried via CNET this time. How to crack this nut?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Unable to install v 4.1.5 Windows 10

Post by RoryOF »

The SourceForge downloads have been intermittently on/off-line as they move to new internet providers. They should now be available; if there are more interruptions of service they should be short and temporary.
Check the validity of your download using the methods describe in Apache OpenOffice - How to verify the integrity of the downloaded file?. If it passes, override the Windows objections, as the verification proves it is in the state in which it left the code factory. Best to download via
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Check also that Internet Explorer has not changed the extension of the downloaded file - this should be .exe for Windows. IE is notorious for silently changing file extensions whn dwnloading.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Donnaclark

Post by Donnaclark »

I have looked at the procedures to verify the integrity of the downloaded file, and it is truly daunting. I am just a user, not a tech. I figure multiple downloads from different sources with different browsers should take care of that, no?
How do you override the Windows objections?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I normally download from the URL I gave you, and I admit, I don't check the integrity as it shouldn't install if corrupt. The reason to check integrity is to be certain, if downloading from some other site, that OO has not been customised by addition of trojans and keyloggers.

I haven't used Windows other than very intermittently in the last ten years, so I'm not aware of how to over-ride its objections. You'll have to wait for input from someone else on that.
Donnaclark

Post by Donnaclark »

I have downloaded from that URL 2-3x using 3 different browsers. The URL does go immediately to SourceForge. An odd thing is that I can't find any file extensions in the properties or anywhere. Does OO check its downloads for corrupted files? Seems like many others would be reporting the same problem... I'm thinking it has something to do with Windows Installer on my computer, but as I said I'm just a user and don't know much about these things, just trying to reason my way through.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice comes with no extensions; these must be separately downloaded as required from the extensions repository at
https://extensions.openoffice.org/

Internet explorer silently renames these from .oxt to .zip \and they should be renamed back to .oxt at operating system level (i.e., outside of OpenOffice) before installing them. All downloaded files should be in the downloads directory used by your broswer.
Normally all OO extensions are compressed archives and if they are corrupt they will issue an error message and not install. The files from SourceForge are stored under high security.

Relative to the "Windows installer package" message, I am beyond my definite knowledge; I have a vague memory that at some time in the past such an error did occur after Microsoft changed their Installer; the solution was (I think) to install a certain Windows upgrade which many had omitted. If you are using Win10 this seems unlikely.

Perhaps an experienced Windows user will have a contribution to make.
Donnaclark

Post by Donnaclark »

I don't know about renaming the files back to .zip .oxt. I haven't done anything on previous installations of OpenOffice. Thank you for all of your input. Unfortunately, I am still unable to install.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm going offline now. It would be helpful if you could post the exact wording of the error message when install fails, and an error number if any.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sorry - should have read "Rename back to .oxt". (corrected in the earlier post). I'm at the end of a long day and no longer thinking straight.
Donnaclark

Post by Donnaclark »

Problem was finally solved (after elaborate efforts with the admin power shell) by moving downloaded files to the root.
Donnaclark

Re: [Solved] Unable to install v 4.1.5 Windows 10

Post by Donnaclark »

I'm sorry. I don't understand your comment. I wonder if we have a language barrier. The reason I was unable to install OO was the location of the download on my desktop. After I stumbled onto the idea of moving it to the root, there was no problem.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Unable to install v 4.1.5 Windows 10

Post by Bill »

Gakerpas wrote:The point was that my computer could not log on to the previous page, and the password was invalid.What's the reason? it has been changed ?
I don't know what this has to do with OpenOffice. You don't need a password to download or install Apache OpenOffice.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04