Failed install 4.1.5 Can't now reinstall

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Talvi

Failed install 4.1.5 Can't now reinstall

Post by Talvi »

An attempted update of OOo 4.1.5 has caused a failure to be able uninstall programs (from Windows e.g Control Panel > Programs and Features). The OOo install failed and led to warning popups of Internal errors 2503 and 2502 . It proved impossible to repair, reinstall or uninstall either the update or previous version. I have now found that the failed installation has caused a general fault not restricted to the OOo program that failed to install (or previous versions of it).

I ran chkdsk c:\ from the cmd window, and it failed to complete with the warning that the volume is in use by another process, so I ran chkdsk/r/f from a restartup. This fixed free space it identified marked as being allocated. Windows however still could not uninstall/modify/repair, returning int 2503 and 2503 errors. Revo-uninstaller removed the installation, but left reg entries re the roaming directory which I used CrapCleaner to delete. I also ran MalwareBytes and F-Secure but no hits.

After rebooting, and running chkdsk c:/f/r, again from a Restart, no errors were found, however, after it completed, Windows reloaded with Windows Explorer open at c:\Windows\inf folder. The latest entry in this folder is a setupapi.app.log file that was created during the Windows reload. In it there are 4 warnings (! lines). One was Fixed. One concluded with: dvi: Device restart was skipped becasuse the DI_DONOTCALL.CONFIGMG flag was set (typo in the actual file) but an Exit status: SUCCESS. The other two appear unresolved.

The unresolved lines in the log file are:
! cci: !NCI: Op=DETACH, Layer=NDIS,
Upper={5CBF81BD-5055-47CD-9055-A76B2B4E3697}
Lower=\Device\{6D74C07D-A3AA-4DB4-972C-FF61E1077DEA}, Error=00000002
and
! cci: !NCI: Op=BIND, Layer=NDIS, Upper=Tcpip6
Lower=\Device\{EE133F3B-3764-44FF-B232-E5AF11A02C66}, Error=00000019
The machine is a netbook running Win7 Starter (no disk). It still works but I really want to get the problem(s) fixed. Besides install issues another prog (GFI bakup) failed to work properly after the failed install. I can only drag 'n drop to backup files and there is insufficient HDD space to do an MS backup.

Hopefully I can solve this without major surgery as I use a lot of "legacy" programs. What can I do next??
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Failed install 4.1.5 Can't now reinstall

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried an internet search for the specific error numbers?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Talvi

Re: Failed install 4.1.5 Can't now reinstall

Post by Talvi »

I can't report any success with installing OOo (yet?) but have had some success with repairing the damage that the OOo upgrade led to with Installing/uninstalling generally.
The damage seems to have been to the Windows Installer. Running the "Microsoft Program Install Uninstall Troubleshooter" identified problems which it seems to have fixed. I can uninstall some programs anyway. However the problem with OOo installation persists.
FWIW these two links give clear (non chatty) instructions for repairing the Windows Installer. At least they'll save anyone reading this the hours of reading I've had to do :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ler-errors and https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a3ade08acf

Having run through all the options given (more than once) the penultimate one (the last one is to reinstall Windows!!) is to boot up with all Start progs disabled (other than MS ones) and then try installing again.

If I have any success I'll post back.

(p.s @ robleyd Yup, that was the first thing I did. Didn't find anything helpful on either of those error codes)

UPDATE

1. Tried reboot with no start programs save windows progs, then triedOOo reinstallation with same results.
2. Checked the Windows installer by installing Notepad++ which installed fine.
3, Tried installing earlier versions of OOo all failed.

Seems/seermd like the problem is with OOo

4. Downloaded and tried to install LibreOffice and it failed with the same errors (2503 then 2502)
5. Tried running the install as an administrator (in case the Temp folder permissions were the problem) but that also failed in the same way.

Anybody any ideas as to why OOo/LibreOffice fails to install, with 2503/2502 errors, yet Notepad++ installs ?

6. Checked compatibility of the msi files. Both were reported as being incompatible and windows couldn't fix. The LibreOffice was for x86 which is correct, so an anomally has arisen somehow.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7