[Solved] Lost files after update to 4.1.5

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
masuk39

[Solved] Lost files after update to 4.1.5

Post by masuk39 »

I'm using a HP computer, MS Windows 10, and updated recently to Open Office 4.1.5.
Almost all my files from previous years are no longer available, and I'm not sure where to look.
I do regular back-ups using a WD device but can't see anything where my files might have been saved.
Your guidance would be appreciated.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
RusselB

Re: lost files

Post by RusselB »

I suspect that your files are just fine, but not where you're looking for them.
Are you trying to see them by looking at the Recent Documents list under File in the menu system?
If so, and if you are used to seeing them there, but don't any longer, then that list has gotten wiped, possibly as part of a user profile reset.
Your files should be in your default save directory, the location of which can be found by looking at Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Paths
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
masuk39

Post by masuk39 »

I think I've dug myself a deeper hole! Version 4.1.5 won't open, though version 4 has come on screen.
I followed your advice for Tools>option>openoffice>paths, but cannot find a 'default save directory.

I will delete all versions of Open Office, and try reinstalling 4.1.5. but will not do this until I know that my old files will not be lost.

I will also search my WD backup external drive and see if there is anything in there.

Adrian - Chiang Mai - Thailand.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The "default save directory" is labeled MyDocuments on the left, the right hand side shows the current setting for default save directory
The Paths dialogue box with the save path indicated
The Paths dialogue box with the save path indicated
 Edit: Your signature suggests you may have been using version 3.4.1 - if that is the case then the version 4 you see is quite possibly 4.1.5; to be certain what version you are using go to Help |About OpenOffice and the version will be displayed along with some other information. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you can remember a name or partial name of one of your files, you should be able to locate this by using the system file search. Once found, start OpenOffice from the Programs entry on the Start button, use the navigation button on OO's /File /Open to manoeuvre to the location of the found file, select it in the /file /Open dialog and it will once again appear in your /File /Recent documents list. Most probably your other files will be in the same location. As you open these, they will each appear in Recent documents.

OO's /File /Recent documents is merely a shortcut to the the files - they should still exist in the original location on your computer in which they were saved. If you are at all uncertain about finding them, seek local informed help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Click the Start icon at the bottom left of your screen
2. A Search box appears. Type *.odt in it and press Enter.
3. Click See more results.

Repeat with *.doc and *.docx.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
masuk39

Re: solved Lost files after update to 4.1.5

Post by masuk39 »

Thanks for your help everybody!!!!