Can not uninstall corrupt Open Office Program

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
kielia727

Can not uninstall corrupt Open Office Program

Post by kielia727 »

I am running Windows 10, 64 bit, x64 based processor. I am using 4.1.5 OpenOffice. I wrote a document . When I tried to read the document after I had saved it, there was no text, only hundreds of pound signs. My system said the file was corrupt. All of my other documents are fine, but they were not created with this download of OpenOffice. My security scans are not showing a virus in my system. I scanned the corrupt OpenOffice file, and it shows no virus. I tried to open ,Open Office again, and it would not open or display. I tried to uninstall OpenOffice. It says that I can not uninstall the program until I close
OpenOffice. I can not close OpenOffice if it will not display. I just reset my 6 month old computer. Please help. I do not want to have to do that again.
Window 10 open office 4.1.5
RusselB

Re: Can not uninstall corrupt Open Office Program

Post by RusselB »

First off, allow me to welcome you to the Forums.
Now for your query, the pound signs are an indication that your file is corrupted, probably beyond the point of recovery. See [Tutorial]The dreaded pound signs for more information.
This may (or may not) be due to the virus in your system, but you should get that taken care of quickly.
In order to ensure that Open Office is completely closed on your system, press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc(ape) keys simultaneously.
This will bring up the Windows Task Manager.
At this point I have to use Windows 7 references, as I refuse to go to Windows 10 (just too many changes that I don't like and can't alter). I do understand that some of the references may not be worded exactly as you will see them.
On my Windows 7 system, I would click the tab marked Processes
Next go through that list and End Process anything that begins with soffice
While rebooting you machine may do this all at once, if you have the QuickStarter active, then it will activate upon the system rebooting, and you would have to go through the same steps to get that to close.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.