Installing 4.1.5 missing access rights

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
fisher44

Installing 4.1.5 missing access rights

Post by fisher44 »

I have tried to install 4.1.5 several times only to get this message in a dialogue box: "OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Fatal Error. The application cannot be started. OpenOffice user installation could not be processed due to missing access rights. Please ensure that you have sufficient access rights for the following location and restart OpenOffice: C:\User\mike\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4"
The same message showed up when I tried to open OpenOffice 4.1.4, which I was using successfully for some time. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried restarting OpenOffice 4.1.5 several times today but to no avail. The location specified in the dialogue box, AFAICS, doesn't actually exist on my hard drive either. Please tell me WTF is going on otherwise I'll have to give up on OpenOffice altogether and revert to MS Office instead, which I don't really want to do because I enjoy using OpenOffice and like its philosophy.
OpenOffice4.1.5 OS HP CQ1151AN
robleyd

Re: Installing 4.1.5 missing access rights

Post by robleyd »

Please don't hijack another topic when your issue is different.

The location specified should exist, but is normally a hidden directory - you will need to use whatever options your operating system provided to show hidden directories so you can see if your user has sufficient rights for that directory. Normally the permissions should be OK, but if you are using Windows 10 - which you haven't specified in your signature - odd things have been know to happen, especially following Windows upgrades.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This may be another manifestation of Windows Defender, which has come to the fore with recent Win 10 upgrades.You may need to instruct Windows Defender that OO is entitled to run and use the files it generates. Not using Win 10 I cannot help further with this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
fisher44

Post by fisher44 »

Another frustrating day attemtping to uninstall, reload and start OpenOffice 4.1.5. I found your "advice" unhelpful and, as a result, have: (a) removed OpenOffice from my system completely; (b) replaced it with software from one of your competitors; and (c) advised everyone in my network that OpenOffice no longer works, Apache is not interested in finding a solution, and to dump OpenOffice accordingly.
OpenOffice4.1.5 OS HP CQ1151AN
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Your initial post was also unhelpful. You didn't specify your operating system and you made an obviously false assumption about the existence of the file mentioned in the error message.

If the replies weren't helpful because you're not using Windows 10, then you should have replied clarifying what operating system you're using instead of wasting our time being even more unhelpful.

If you're using Windows 10, then you and others should be aware that the last major update of Windows 10 may have changed some settings that don't allow OpenOffice and many other programs to be installed and work properly if the end user doesn't change a setting that allows the programs to work. There is nothing that Apache can do to solve that problem. It can only be solved by MS or the end user.

OpenOffice still works for me and millions of others.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Mybadger

Post by Mybadger »

Can you please tell me how how to change the settings so I can allow open office on my windows 10.
I am not very computer literate so a step by step would be helpful.
Thank you
apache open open office 4.1.5 windows 10
AkiraLe

Post by AkiraLe »

@Mybadger
I think he just post for and then go, there will be no answer,
You can search in forum
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
nw-b5

Post by nw-b5 »

Dude,

Here's your answer mate. Run the extract and then cancel out of setup. Go to directory where installation files were extracted to. Eliminate Read Only property. Then run setup.exe as administrator. VERY IMPORTANT, do NOT use "install with permissions for all users." Install for one user only. Problem solved. Run separate installations for each user on computer.

L8R DudeZ and DudetteZ
OpenOffice v4.1.3 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

nw-b5 wrote:VERY IMPORTANT, do NOT use "install with permissions for all users." Install for one user only. Problem solved. Run separate installations for each user on computer.
Do you know why you have to do it that way? Is there some setting in the operating system that makes that necessary? In 10+ years of installing OOo/AOO, I've never had to do that.
nw-b5

Post by nw-b5 »

Not a clue dude and I provided you a solution. My work is done. Over to you. Later.
OpenOffice v4.1.3 on Windows 7
ken1017

Post by ken1017 »

followed your instr. unchecked read only box, applied, saved, go back to check and box is checked again, does it every time, overrides. Ideas??
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Whose instructions did you follow? What read only box did you uncheck? Please post a screen shot showing the read only box so we don't have to guess.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you're talking about the read only box on a folder's Properties dialog, that doesn't have anything to do with access rights. The read only box can't be used to change the read only attribute of a folder in Windows 10. It can only be used to set or unset the read only attribute for files in the folder, not the folder itself. Windows sets the read only attribute to tell File Explorer that the folder is a special or customized folder. Access rights are set by the Security settings for the folder.