[Solved] Calc and Writer won't open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rhowl

[Solved] Calc and Writer won't open

Post by rhowl »

About every 2 or 3 days when I click on a Calc file or a Writer file, it simply does not open. I have to reboot my computer to fix this. I am thankful there is a fix but it is very annoying. I have tried going into program files and opening OO from there first, but that also does not work. This has been happening for a year at least. I finally downloaded the latest version of OO hoping there was a fix, but I still keep having this problem. I am using a PC with Windows 7.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I briefly searched the forums but didn't find an answer. Thanks.
Last edited by rhowl on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Calc and Writer won't open

Post by Hagar Delest »

In such case, open the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and kill any soffice.bin process you see. Usually, if you see one that eats most of the memory, killing it will kill all the others.
It happens on my Windows machine but quite rarely.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rhowl

Post by rhowl »

Thanks so much, I will try this the very next time it happens! Can't wait to see if it works on my machine. I'll post when it happens.
rhowl

Post by rhowl »

Worked like a charm, thank you!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [ SOLVED ] Calc and Writer won't open

Post by John_Ha »

Can you workout what it is that you are doing which is causing this? Are you closing a file, and then immediately re-opening it, perhaps before the close has finished? Or are you doing doing something else?

We have never been able to track it down exactly so if you can give us a reproduceable method to replicate it we will be very grateful.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rhowl

Post by rhowl »

I do know that I have closed a file and opened it again right away with no problems. Actually I do this more than the average person probably. But the problem with opening does not always happen immediately, even if opening right after closing. It seems to be at random. Maybe I am not waiting for the file to close and it's causing a delayed reaction. I will slow down on closing / opening and see if it stops. I will report back.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, this problem seems to be caused by interrupting the internal housekeeping OpenOffice does when it closes a file.Give it a few seconds after closing a file before opening another file (or worse, reopening the same file).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rhowl

Post by rhowl »

I will do this, thanks! I will report back in a week or so.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rhowl wrote:Maybe I am not waiting for the file to close and it's causing a delayed reaction. I will slow down on closing / opening and see if it stops. I will report back.
There seem to be two stages during shutting down AOO. The first stage is when the blue line crosses the bottom of the screen. The second stage continues for a period after the blue line has finished and is when the profile is updated and the name of the file saved is written to the profile etc. We wonder if the problem happens during this second stage. On a network attached disk, with a slow network, the second stage can last many seconds.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rhowl

Re: [Solved] Calc and Writer won't open

Post by rhowl »

It's been over a week now and I have only had one issue of Calc not opening. This is a huge improvement as it was happening every couple of days. I do believe my fingers were too quick and I was not giving the program time to close properly. Thanks for all the help!!