Problem installing 4.1.5

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Mybadger

Problem installing 4.1.5

Post by Mybadger »

I just tried to install open office 4.1.5 on my new dell laptop but I cannot seem to open it or download it
apache open open office 4.1.5 windows 10
robleyd

Re: Problem installing 4.1.5

Post by robleyd »

It isn't clear if you have managed to download the installation file. Can you tell us exactly what steps you have taken and what happened, including the exact text of any error or warning messages?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Mybadger

Post by Mybadger »

when I click the tab I think will start my install, a window opens that says view and track your downloads, it gives me the option to open but when I click it, I get a warning from windows interface marshaling library that asks if I if I want to open the program, I click it and nothing happens
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OK, let's take this in small steps.

1) You go to the download page http://www.openoffice.org/download/ and there should be the appropriate OS and language already set - if not you make what changes are needed and click Download full installation.

2) This will take you to the Sourceforge site from hence your download will come; do NOT click on any links on that page - wait for the download to begin. On completion of the download you will have a file named something similar to Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe wherever your browser is set to place downloaded files.

Have you got this far?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Mybadger

Post by Mybadger »

that is where I got to, Yes. The problem came when I clicked on the tab
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Then you double click on the file to run it - this should then create a folder on your desktop named something like OpenOffice 4.1.5 (en-GB) Installation files. If this doesn't happen, can you provide a screen shot of what does show?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Mybadger

Post by Mybadger »

I can't do a screenshot because it is a dialog box but when I clicked on the tab that should have started the installer, the dialog box from "downloads" opens up with apache in it but with the "e" logo microsoft uses next to it. when I double click on apache from that box, another dialog box opens up with apache with the option of opening or saving, when I click open, internet security opens up a dialog box asking if I want to allow the program, but the program it lists is "ie activex interface marshaling library" and windows is listed as the publisher.... so confusing I know
I somehow looks like windows ate it
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@Mybadger: You've made several references to an anonymous "tab". Tabs have names on them. Please tell us the name on the tab.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Mybadger

Post by Mybadger »

the tab is the first thing that shows up after you hit download, it appears in the lower left of the screen just above the tool bar, normally when I click this the installer would start and I would be notified of the website that wants to make changes to my computer but none of that happens.

Thanks for your patience
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps the ideal solution would be to do a screen capture; this web page gives information on how to copy the whole screen or a particular window open on the screen, including dialog boxes.

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire.

It seems from your last post that you may not have actually downloaded the install file, but earlier you suggest that you have downloaded it. ???
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Mybadger wrote:the tab is the first thing that shows up after you hit download, it appears in the lower left of the screen just above the tool bar, normally when I click this the installer would start and I would be notified of the website that wants to make changes to my computer but none of that happens.

Thanks for your patience
Tabs are what appear at the top of browsers to switch between different Web pages. I'm not familiar with a Web browser that puts tabs at the lower left above a tool bar. What Web browser are you using to download AOO?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04