[Solved] Install folder shows up, but no program

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Oldsecretary

[Solved] Install folder shows up, but no program

Post by Oldsecretary »

With Windows 8.1, install began for a few mins then stopped with the alert that Google Chrome may have a problem. I backed out of the install with the cancel because I did not know what to do. Then on the Desktop was just a folder "Open Office 4.1.5 Installation Files". Now, in this forum, I was advised NOT to first uninstall my 2013 OO to be sure the new version was working. However, in the install process, it WAS advised to uninstall the 3.1. So I quit, feeling quite frustrated.

All of this angst because I need to print simple personal business cards, and 3.1 is difficult to figure out that process. BTW, some of those Smilies on the sidebar tell me I am not the only dummy!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Install folder shows up, but no program

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice or openoffice processes shown on TM's tab. Then, without rebooting, try a fresh installation
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Oldsecretary

Post by Oldsecretary »

Will do that now...BTW, Pooh's birthday is the same as MINE, but though I am not 90, sure feel like it more than I like to admit. THANKS
Oldsecretary

Post by Oldsecretary »

Well, what I saw in TM was only a list of blue highlight "Background processes" and in the listing O.O.org 3.1 16.1 MB and also below that, O.O.org 3.1 0.7 MB. DO I TRY TO DELETE THESE, and how...rt click or...
Oldsecretary

Post by Oldsecretary »

Well, what I saw in TM was only a list of blue highlight "Background processes" and in the listing O.O.org 3.1 16.1 MB and also below that, O.O.org 3.1 0.7 MB. DO I TRY TO DELETE THESE, and how...rt click or...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, delete these. I think right click, but as I don't use Windows I'm not sure. These indicate that the OO Quickstarter is running, which prevents installation of a new version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Oldsecretary

Post by Oldsecretary »

This morning was a failure to delete those OO 3.1 processes, and there are 2 of them, one about 1 MB and the other 7 MB. There was no delete option to be found and I cruised all around within the TM. So now I will attempt to start over with the install...
Oldsecretary

Post by Oldsecretary »

HOORAY! I now have it. But, what I tried different this time around was this: Remember when during install, the box came up listing FILES IN USE, and it showed GOOGLE CHROME (PROCESS ID: 14608). I had backed out at that point, clicking EXIT as I did not know what to do. So, now I clicked IGNORE, and the install went forward successfully to FINISH. I am in.

One more issue I have is how to find this Forum easily on the website's main page. There are so many things from which to choose, and there seems to be no top menu for FORUM, to simply click into after login. Or am I missing something? I had to keep going back to my email thread and open the link from there.

I am anxious to try the new version, after which the old 3.1 will be uninstalled as recommended.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Install folder shows up, but no program

Post by Hagar Delest »

It's in I need help with my OpenOffice, then Community support and the forum landing page is the first link.
Since there are other types of help channels, we can't have a dedicated direct link to the forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Oldsecretary

Re: [Solved] Install folder shows up, but no program

Post by Oldsecretary »

Thanks for your patient response. I need a DUMMIES book for just about everything these days.