[Solved] Can not save

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jgstreet

[Solved] Can not save

Post by jgstreet »

I am running windows 7 got security up date from Microsoft now I can not save my open office docs. I press the save and nothing happens the computer thinks for a second then nothing. no pop us what so ever no words or sounds.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Jonathan Street, open office apache 4.1.5, on windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Can not save

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

1. Reboot. Is it now OK? If not,

2. Download test.odt and place it on your desktop. Right-click it > Properties > click Unblock if necessary. Open it and make an edit. Save it.

What happens?

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
test.odt
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

I did as requested and nothing happened like before.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you create files with other applications in the folder where you want to save?
For example a mere .txt with Notepad.
Windows may have changed the rights on the folder. Select an existing file and make sure it's not read-only.
Else, you can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you check to see if the Save As dialog was opened off screen? Normalize the document window and shrink/move it to the center of the screen, leaving some space between the window and the edge of the screen. Press Alt+Spacebar. If a menu appears at an edge of the screen, then the dialog box is somewhere off screen. Select the Move option on the menu and use the arrow keys to move the dialog box back to the screen.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

I was able to save a notepad .txt I reset my profile and I did not find an open window. when I click on save in open office the open office window blinks once with no other change.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you confirm that it doesn't save any changes to your file? It may blink but actually save the document. There should be an asterisk in the status bar at the bottom of the AOO window when you modify a document. After save it should disappear. Do you see it go away?
If you "Save as" instead of Save, does it allow you to save the file?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

they are all new files. the asterisk stays. the same thing happens when I do save as. then I tried to open a file because I had only tried to save new. I found that when trying to open the previously saved file it would not open the window to choose a file and blink like when I was trying to save.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In /File /Save as, navigate to and save any file to your desktop. This will show if the problem is a permissions problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

I think that it has to do with microsoft Security Essentials. I had removed Security Essentials and now am reloading it to see if I can change settings. No window will come up from open office to navigate threw.
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

I have now found that I can bring up an old saved file and re-save it. I can not save a new or save as file. I can not bring up the file out of open office it must be from a windows folder that opens open office.
jgstreet

Post by jgstreet »

I can save now. I don't know what happened.