Read only documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rtrg

Read only documents

Post by rtrg »

Please move this as needed. Recently documents I created in WRITER were NOT editable after they were saved and re opened. I did NOT make any selections to PROTECT the document in any way!. Searching for a solution turned up nothing. I tried one last time and used SAVE AS to save it, name it. Re opened writer, opened saved document, and was able to edit it by left clicking to bring up the cursor. Previously the same action brought up a group of YELLOW markers around the documents perimeter. Left or right clicking brought up a menu. I did NOT find any form of EDITING control or a way to disable any form of protection. As I write this the issue self fixed. Please send me clear instructions in the event this happens again, tabs, choices, where located, a concise explanation please.
open office 3.1 on windows xp
keme
Volunteer

Re: read only documents

Post by keme »

I do NOT have a conclusive EXPLANATION, but there are a few POSSIBLE reasons why this might happen:
  • Saving in the Programs folder
  • Accessibility settings
  • Document not properly closed when saving.
  • Some dialog opened from Writer (in rare occasions, the dialogs go behind the main window, so you won't see them).
List is probably not comprehensive. Reasons MIGHT be in OpenOffice settings (deleting preferences may fix that), OS/filesystem settings (OS "skins" sometimes mess things up) or somewhere else. If it happens again, and the above pointers do not help, PLEASE post again.
Hagar Delest

Re: Read only documents

Post by Hagar Delest »

rtrg wrote:Previously the same action brought up a group of YELLOW markers around the documents perimeter. Left or right clicking brought up a menu. I did NOT find any form of EDITING control or a way to disable any form of protection.
It looks like the file was opened in another application than OpenOffice. If it happens again, can you make a screenshot and upload it here?
Are you sure that it was OpenOffice that was used?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Read only documents

Post by Bill »

rtrg wrote:Previously the same action brought up a group of YELLOW markers around the documents perimeter. Left or right clicking brought up a menu. I did NOT find any form of EDITING control or a way to disable any form of protection. As I write this the issue self fixed. Please send me clear instructions in the event this happens again, tabs, choices, where located, a concise explanation please.
I've never seen a document with "yellow markers around the documents perimeter". Without a real document to examine or at least a screen shot, it's almost impossible to guess about what caused the problem and give instructions (clear or otherwise) or an explanation.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04