Can't save new documents without it closing and not saving.

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
traveller99

Can't save new documents without it closing and not saving.

Post by traveller99 »

I downloaded some documents from my accounting program and manipulated the data when I went to save OpenOffice just shut down. When I tried to open it up I had to recover the document but all my changes haven't saved. Strangely though if I go to an old document that I use it shuts down automatically on saving but saves the changes, but still need to do the recovery process. The only change I can think of that has been done to my computer was renewing my Anti-Virus before this started happening. I was using OpenOffice 4.1.1 so I updated to 4.1.5 to see if that helped and still no difference.

I have searched the forums and tried changing my user, allowing the app through the antivirus and firewall. I have even turned my antivirus and firewall off and I still can't get a document to save. Does anyone have any ideas? I am wondering if it's worth uninstalling and downloaded again.

TIA
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't save new documents without it closing and not savi

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You mean that you've reset your OpenOffice user profile?
Do you save in native ODF (.odt for text and .ods for spreadsheet)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you have Windows Defender running, have a look at this suggestion in this post. If that doesn't solve the problem, try starting Windows in safe mode and see whether the problem persists.
 Edit: Fixed link 
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link not displaying correctly
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Try a Google search for "openoffice crashes after saving" to find other ideas.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
SkyWestNM

Post by SkyWestNM »

This inability to save documents I have been seeing goes all the way back to 2004 without a definitive solution EVER. I think it may be time for the developers to take a long hard look at this issue as some of us have been considering the horrifying solution of going back to Microsoft and paying them even more money AGAIN to have a reliable save on important docs. I shall offer them a 50$ payment to the charity of the developers' choice when they solve this very heavy duty problem. A worthy reward anyway since they charge nothing for my Open Office use. And thank you for that.

My problems started when I started using an Open Office spreadsheet which has a huge number of columns. I bought an external hard drive to store it when it started refusing to save, thinking my SSD hard drive was approaching failure. It was not. My work arounds were to save my doc in Excel format but I found that that added tons of Excel formatting options AND truncated my spreadsheet columns. Ugh!
Now the disease is spreading to small OO spreadsheets. Help.....it appears I'm infected. LOL

So I started using spreadsheet file name changes, Save as, different formats including pdf, and multiple save attempts.
They say that the definition of insanity is to try the same choices and expect a different outcome. Well whoever coined that never worked on a computer. Often the same choice DOES present different results and herein is my story.

I started using "save" the document multiple times. After it gave me the "can't save" message with no reason why, it would sometimes after the 2nd or up to the sixth try give me a successful save. I am thankful for that. For even leaving the program up all night, Microsoft has a untimely habit of unexpectedly rebooting my machine in the wee hours.

I am convinced that because of the recurring instances of this error over the years and over the recurring open office new versions that this is a residual coding error of some sort. I don't believe it has anything to do with my specific machine as many times as this has been reported. Could we get someone to take a long hard look at this issue with an eye towards final resolution?

Meanwhile, let me thank you developers for making this such a responsive and reliable program. :bravo:
Windows 10 Open Office 4.15
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.