Cannot save files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

Cannot save files

Postby geniecur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 am

i now have OpenOffice 4.1.4 and my computer runs with Microsoft XP. I have been using Open Office for a little over a year very successfully and happily. After a couple months away from it for medical reasons , i just created a new text document, but it will not "save" or "save as" the file and i am unable to close the document. i then upgraded my then version of OO from 4.1.2 to 4.1.4 and recreated a new text document, but still had the same problem. Now i have two "Untitled" documents i can't do anything with. i was not able to find a=this problem already reported on the forum, but i'm new to the group so i might be missing something. thanks for any help! i'm lost without Open Office.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Microsoft XP
geniecur

Re: cannot save files

Postby robleyd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 am

Try resetting the user profile. In Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer (may be Windows Explorer depending on Windows version). Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder, say to user.old. Start OpenOffice.

When you restart OpenOffice, you should be prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO.

If that doesn't resolve your problem, please tell us exactly what happens when you try to save, including the exact text of any error message you get.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby LinMac » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 am

I have this problem too.
I've been using Open Office 4.1.1 for over a year without a problem.
Was constantly prompted to update my Windows 10, so did so a couple of days ago. Don't know if this is caused the problem (but it seems a coicidence).
Today am using OO for first time since Windows update and trying to Save an Open Office text document without success. Nothing happens at all. No message, nothing, OO appears to crash, I open it again, go through doc recovery, which always works, try to Save or Save As and it crashes again...round and round.
I thought it was worth updating to OO 4.1.4 to see if it worked but no, the problem remained the same.
Have now also worked through the steps you suggest above but no difference. Still can't save.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
LinMac

Postby RoryOF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm

See [Solved] Windows Defender prevents file opening
for a possible solution for the problem on Win 10.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Cannot save files

Postby John_Ha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: General error or General input/output error opening word where files may be corrupted in the user profile.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby geniecur » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 am

I finally got around to trying your suggested solution of resetting the user profile in Windows but it didn't do anything except wipe out all my OO files. One correction to my original post: I'm on Windows 7, not XP, though that doesn't seem to make a difference in my experience, nor that of a subsequent OO user with the same problem. What to do? To recap, I can't save a file whether I use "save" or "save as". The screen just sits there and doesn't do anything. I can type modifications to the file, but am unable to save any of them. I tried to get around the problem by copying and pasting to an old existing, totally unrelated file in Windows Documents. Then I was able to copy that file to OO and am able to modify that one and save changes. I would love to salvage this important file to a flash drive, but am unable to use "save as" to accomplish this.
Geneva Currier
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Microsoft XP
geniecur

Postby RusselB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 am

Resetting your user profile, if done correctly, would not have touched any of your OO files.
I'm surprised that it took you nearly 8 months to get back to us with a statement that resetting the user profile didn't resolve the problem.
That aside, since resetting your user profile didn't work, I'm going to suggest that you start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice works properly.
If it does, then there is some driver/program that is loaded with Windows and running in background that is causing the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 and LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB
Volunteer

Postby robleyd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 am

Resetting your user profile, if done correctly, would not have touched any of your OO files.

It will, however, empty the list of most recently used files; some people may mistake the list for the actual files themselves and believe - in error - that the files are gone from the computer if they are not shown on the list.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby John_Ha » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 pm

geniecur wrote:I can't save a file whether I use "save" or "save as". The screen just sits there and doesn't do anything. I can type modifications to the file, but am unable to save any of them.

1. It could be an anti virus program or Windows Defender is preventing AOO writing to disk. Start the PC in Safe Mode and check again. Post what happens when you try.

2. It could be you are trying to save to a protected place on the disk. Save to the desktop or save to a USB memory stick. Does that work? Post what happens when you try.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to MS Windows