OpenOffice 4.1.4 won't open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

OpenOffice 4.1.4 won't open

Postby nvarvil » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:09 pm

I had an earlier version of Open Office and recently installed 4.1.4 on my laptop running with Windows 10. It worked fine for a few times. Then when I tried to open a file, the icon just kept whirling -trying to open, but didn't. When I clicked on the Open Office icon on desktop, it just whirled too but wouldn't open.

I uninstalled Open Office and reinstalled it. It worked a couple of times, but now it does the same thing - tries to open, but can't. When I tried to uninstall this time, a message comes up saying I have to close any Open Office files before doing this. I checked task manager and there are no files open. How do I get Open Office up and running again?
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
nvarvil

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.4 won't open

Postby robleyd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am

In task manager, look for soffice in programs for all users or however it is named.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.4 won't open

Postby John_Ha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

nvarvil wrote: I checked task manager and there are no files open.

TaskManager checks what processes are running - it knows nothing about data files.

Delete all soffice.exe and/or soffice.bin processes. Sometimes, one gets left behind and prevents another file from being opened. Or reboot.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to MS Windows