Installing.

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
dirkas

Installing.

Post by dirkas »

I have been using Open office up till today. Then I decided to update. I downloaded 4.1.4 and while trying to install I was told I needed Java. So I went onto Java only to be told it can not be done as I am running Windows 7 on 64 bit and that is it.
No assistance as to how I can overcome the problem. As I uninstalled my previous Open Office I can now not use anything related,
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Installing.

Post by Zizi64 »

The Apache Openoffice is a 32 bit software, therefore you need a 32 bit JRE for it (even on a 64 bit operating system). You can install both (32 and 64 bit) JRE on same operating system. There is "i586" string in the filename of the 32 bit JRE installer.

(The LibreOffice has 32 bit and 64 bit installer too.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Installing.

Post by Bill »

dirkas wrote:I have been using Open office up till today. Then I decided to update. I downloaded 4.1.4 and while trying to install I was told I needed Java.
Please upload a screen shot of whatever told you that you needed Java. Java has never been required to install Apache OpenOffice. Maybe you've downloaded from some unofficial site which is trying to install something else that requires Java.
dirkas wrote: So I went onto Java only to be told it can not be done as I am running Windows 7 on 64 bit and that is it.
There are millions running 64 bit Windows 7 who have installed Java. Something's wrong on your system if you're being told that it can't be done.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04