[Closed] OpenOffice Corrupted by Kaspersky Protected Browser

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Chris1x

[Closed] OpenOffice Corrupted by Kaspersky Protected Browser

Post by Chris1x »

Hello. Earlier today I posted about an issue with scrolling in OpenOffice which then seemed to have gone away, but now I have discovered what is causing the problem - though not how to solve it. I can use OpenOffice without any problems until I open a website in Kaspersky's protected browser mode on Firefox, then I get screen corruption on scrolling in OpenOffice. If I then close the protected browser and restart OpenOffice the problem goes away. This has only started happening since I switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 - it was not an issue with KIS 2017 - have you encountered this before, and if so, do you know how to solve it? Thanks, Chris
PS I will raise the issue with Kaspersky too
PPS I am on OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Closed].
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice Corrupted by Kaspersky Protected Browser

Post by RoryOF »

What is your screen resolution? It may be that the overhead of Kaspersky 2018 is taking needed CPU cycles from the screen scrolling. Perhaps Kaspersky will suggest revised settings if this is the case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Chris1x

Post by Chris1x »

That's an interesting thought RoryOF ... I'm on 1366 x 768 (which is the recommended setting) - I will try changing that to see if it helps.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't think 1366x768 is an abnormally high resolution. I was thinking 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440 or higher.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am using 1920 x 1080 without problems, but I don't run Kaspersky.

Run Taskmanager - C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe. Are you running high CPU%? or high I/O? Or low on memory?

It sounds like Kaspersky has changed with the upgrade and is now the problem.

A thought - is the disk I/O reported as 100%? It is a [cr*ppy] W10 bug - see Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
prabharathi

Post by prabharathi »

Thanks for the post. I just figured out the same in my computer too even though the problem has been persisting for a couple of months. In fact I had earlier sent a query regarding scrolling issue in openoffice and tried going back to previous versions to get rid of this problem but it persisted. It precisely happens when the protected browser window is open and the icons in the tool bar also change the appearance and seem to be enclosed in small squares. This happens both in Calc and Writer documents. As soon as I close the protected browser window of Kaspersky the appearance of the icons becomes normal and the scrolling issues disappear. I too have sent a feedback to the Kaspersky internet security support team.

I tried using Libre Office too but had the issues there too. For example the window for entering the password will look completely dark and i will not have any clue as to what is happening. Have you found any solution for this wierd problem.?
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It is difficult to diagnose problem between interacting programs like this without access to the system. If it is a problem with AOO code it is extremely unlikely that anything will have been changed in the code unless it was a generic problem caught by the developers. It could be a problem with Kaspersky or with the PC graphics system (drivers and/or hardware).

AOO and LO share a lot of code so, as LO has the same problem, and other applications on your PC do not, it suggests it could be in the AOO/LO code. Try a question in the Kaspersky forum.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Chris1x

Post by Chris1x »

Thanks prabharathi for letting me know that you're experiencing the same problem - it's good to know that I'm not the only one! And my symptoms match yours exactly. The problem occurs at the exact moment that the Kaspersky protected browser is started. I have had the problem before but not in such a persistent way as it now does since I upgraded to KIS 2018.

I have reported this to Kaspersky and they are working with me to try to identify the cause ... with no luck so far. If they cannot fix it I may revert to KIS 2017.

Thanks too John Ha for your suggestions - I will try looking at those.
Chris1x

Post by Chris1x »

I have now looked at Taskmanager, and CPU is currently at around 20% and disk at 1%. Memory is at 79% but this appears to be mostly down to Firefox.
Chris1x

Post by Chris1x »

I have good news: Kaspersky have now identified a bug (#2552004) in their system that's causing this problem, and they're working on it (though I'm afraid I do not have a target date for the fix to be released). I think we can now close this topic. Thanks for your help, Chris
Chris1x

Re: [Closed] OpenOffice Corrupted by Kaspersky Protected Bro

Post by Chris1x »

I have been working on this problem with Kaspersky but they have been unable to reproduce it (so the work has been them suggesting things for me to try to see if it helps). I have now given up - I have a suspicion that it may be caused by some kind of conflict in my PC setup. The reason I'm writing this post though is that I have stumbled upon a workaround, so anyone else with this problem might like to try it too - if I open OpenOffice by opening an attachment to an email then it works fine, even when I then open further documents. However, if I close this instance of OpenOffice and then open another instance directly from my toolbar, then I still have the problem reported earlier. Strange, but a satisfactory workaround - I just make sure I always open OpenOffice by opening an email attachment.
Ooduck

Re: [Closed] OpenOffice Corrupted by Kaspersky Protected Bro

Post by Ooduck »

FYI--This problem is still extant. I've been noodling with it trying to find out just what combination of apps/browsers exactly trips it, with no success, although I have (tentatively) narrowed it down to protected (Safe Money) browsers being open/opened. But again, it's hit and miss, as well as the effects on .odt docs. They'll randomly stop/start responding properly. Usually stop just when you need a doc the most, then magically start working properly again just when you've given up on it.

I've alerted KIS to this, with no fix forthcoming as yet.

bd
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7