Invasive Excel

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
barrytheswat

Invasive Excel

Post by barrytheswat »

I have an annoying problem. I am using Windows 10 as my OS, but I always use OpenOffice Calc for all my spreadsheet work.

But suddenly Microsoft Excel has become the default and is blocking me from opening any docs in Calc except the most recent ones I've worked on.

I have put up with this for a while, but I now want to access some older docs. How do I put this right?

If I right click on 'OpenOffice Calc' in the system and take the option of 'Run as administrator,' will that put it right or not?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Invasive Excel

Post by Bill »

Google search for: default programs in Windows 10.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
barrytheswat

Post by barrytheswat »

If only life was that easy!

You're asking me to go into a Microsoft Operating System and expect them to make it easy to demote one of their own for a rival. It's a minefield.

Besides; I already had a go at it, before I decided to ask the OpenOffice gurus here.

Also, I'm frightened to click the wrong thing in case it loses all my work!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Your issue is Windows related, not Apache OpenOffice. Here is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10. Changing the default program will not delete any of your files.

If you are not comfortable making these changes, then perhaps you need to consult a knowledgeable friend/relative/local PC shop to help walk you through the process.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

barrytheswat wrote:If only life was that easy!

You're asking me to go into a Microsoft Operating System and expect them to make it easy to demote one of their own for a rival. It's a minefield.
Yes, I do expect them to make it easy. That's why they give you a graphical interface to change default programs instead of forcing you to use a command line.
barrytheswat wrote:Besides; I already had a go at it, before I decided to ask the OpenOffice gurus here.

Also, I'm frightened to click the wrong thing in case it loses all my work!
Changing the default program doesn't delete anything. It's a system setting that doesn't delete or modify any user files.

You can change the default program one file type at a time by right-clicking a file and selecting Properties. On the Properties window, where it says "Opens with", click the Change button and select "OpenOffice Calc". Note that this only changes the default program setting for one type of file. You will have to repeat the process if you want to open other file types.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04