OpenOffice Writer Dictionary

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ronhi

OpenOffice Writer Dictionary

Post by ronhi »

Help...I've downloaded OO...on a new computer, have been using it for years on old. All of a sudden all my text docs are underlined in read, meaning there is grammar or spelling error. I used tools to "check" my work and it highlights everything. So, I believe I have no large dictionary. I went to the website and attempted to download a dictionary, but it does not seem to be connected to OO...it did download, that's all I know...Help please.
Open Office 4; Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Office Writer Dictionary

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
ronhi

Post by ronhi »

Followed the tutorial to rename file to "...old" and restart OO...that did not fix problem. So moved onto 2nd step
"Still not fixed: a dev seems to have recently found the root cause: close OpenOffice (including the Quickstarter) and in the user profile, go to the folder /user/extensions/bundled/. Rename the files extensions.pmap and extensions.db (if they do exist). Restart OpenOffice and see if there is any improvement
Unfortunately, I could not find the folder "/user/extensions/bundled". . . is there such a folder in W10?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Yes, it should be in the user profile. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (or Windows Explorer, however called in W10) Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. That will take you to the top level of the user profile, a directory named user; go into that directory...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
ronhi

Post by ronhi »

I copied and pasted %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in my File Explorer searching all of My Computer...no file found?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you paste the path %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the Address Bar or the Search box. It works for me in the Address Bar. In the Search box, I get "No items match your search". I don't know how to produce the message "No file found".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

This is a screenshot from Win 7 - hopefully it is similar enough to Win 10 to give you the idea. The address bar is where you see the %appdata% and the search box is on the right.
explorer.jpg
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
ronhi

Post by ronhi »

Thank you, I suspect W10 must differ from W7 as that file does not exist in W10...as I said, I searched on the entire computer and on C:| and it never displayed...I also looked for it manually drilling down from C:\ and never found it.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please, do not use the Search but put the string in the Address line.

The user profile does exist once AOO is installed and you have opened AOO; try looking in C:\Users\login\Appdata\Roaming\

Substitute whatever name you use to log in where I have put login
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

ronhi wrote:Thank you, I suspect W10 must differ from W7 as that file does not exist in W10...as I said, I searched on the entire computer and on C:| and it never displayed...I also looked for it manually drilling down from C:\ and never found it.
Windows 10 does differ from Windows 7, but not much in this respect.

%appdata% is not a file or folder. It is a system variable which points to the folder for application specific data in your user profile. When you paste it in the address line, Explorer extracts the content and redirects to the folder. You can also type it in right after you press the Windows key to open Explorer on your AppData folder.
When you paste %appdata% in the search field, I suspect that the variable name (not its content) is searched for in the file system. There should not be a folder or file with that name on your system.

To "manually drill down" to this, you first have to enable display of hidden folders and protected system files. Also, you need to understand the expansion of %appdata%, as explained by robleyd. "login" is your login name (which usually differs from the display name for your login). "Users" may be translated according to the language chosen for your windows install. "AppData" is capitalized just like that (not that capitalizing matters in Windows...), and is a hidden and protected system folder, which you won't see in the panes unless you enable display as I mentioned above (but you can still type the name into the address line).
ronhi

Post by ronhi »

Found it, but it is beyond my skill level, guess I'll have to abandon Open Office...hate to give in to Microsoft. Is there another open program I might use?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

ronhi wrote:Found it, but it is beyond my skill level ...
1 Uninstall AOO. If it asks "Do you want to keep your settings?" or similar, say NO - you want to delete them.
2 Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
3 Install AOO. If it asks "Do you want to re-use your settings?" say NO - you want a new, clean install.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.