Calc installation only

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
gorilla

Calc installation only

Post by gorilla »

Hello, I actually don't have Open Office yet. I only need the Calc portion. I have windows 7 , but I have an old version of Office and when people send me things they have created on Excel my computer can't interpret it. I was told by a friend that if I downloaded Calc it would be able to read it. Can I just download the Calc portion, or do I have to download the whole Open Office. Thank you so kindly in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: calc

Post by RoryOF »

The program is very integrated, so you need to download it all. If you only need a spreadsheet, try Gnumeric.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gorilla

Post by gorilla »

Thank you for referring me to Gnumeric. Do you know if it will read the files that come to me from Excel? I have this one customer who orders my products, and she sent the order in an Excel file. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't open it. My computer savvy friend told me my Office was old and that the customer had the newer version. I just don't need the new version of Office because I don't do any excel work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I know of Gnumeric, but don't use it, so cannot answer your question.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

While you can't download just Calc, it is possible to install just Calc and the common core files.
When you run the installer, pick the Custom installation option.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Unfortunately Gnumeric appears to only be available for Linux systems.

There is however the Microsoft Excel Viewer which may be an option - see https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downloa ... aspx?id=10
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Gnumeric should be available for Windows
https://yepdownload.com/gnumeric
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I only checked the 'official' Gnumeric site http://www.gnumeric.org/download.html - apparently third parties have done Windows binaries.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I thought I had installed Gnumeric on a friend's Window 7 machine so I googled for "Gumeric Windows" and found a couple of references. My version opens .xls files with no problem. I don't have any .xlsx files handy to test.
gorilla

Re: Calc installation only

Post by gorilla »

Thank you, thank you, each of you! I think the idea of downloading it all but doing the custom installation! That should work. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Calc installation only

Post by jrkrideau »

Probably the best bet as I suspect Gnumeric has few users to offer support but if hard drive space is a worry Gnumeric may have a smaller footprint.