[Solved] Cannot save after updating to Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
vmoore

[Solved] Cannot save after updating to Windows 10

Post by vmoore »

I am using Open Office 4.1.3. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since that upgrade I am unable to save open office files. The error message is : Error saving the document. General input/output error while accessing (here it gives the file location and name). Help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Cannot save after updating to Windows 10

Post by FJCC »

Try renaming your user profile. To do this, first shut down OpenOffice. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. That will take you to a folder that contains a folder named user. Rename that folder to user_old and restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Fill that out and then see if you can save files.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
vmoore

Post by vmoore »

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately renaming my user profile did not solve the problem.
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In /File /Save as use the navigation button to manoeuvre to your desktop and try Saving there. If you can Save there then possibly you have not rights to Save in your normal directory/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I just got the most recent updates for Windows 10 and can still save LO and OpenOffice files, so using Windows 10 shouldn't be the problem. Maybe you should reset your user profile.
Click here for help how to do that.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
vmoore

Post by vmoore »

Thanks for the try but I cannot save to the desktop either. I get the message that the file I am trying to save is not found.
vmoore

Post by vmoore »

Thanks for your help. I found the problem and at least partly solved it. It turns out that Windows Defender decided that the folders I was saving in or from needed controlled access and therefore was blocking access. At this point I have turned off file access control in Windows Defender and can save my work. It is a windows problem but without your help I would not have found it.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Cannot save after updating to Windows 10

Post by Bill »

Controlled Folder Access is an anti-ransomware feature. Instead of turning off Controlled Folder Access, add C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin as an allowed app.

How to Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings in Windows 10
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
vmoore

Post by vmoore »

Thanks, I tried adding soffice.bin and all other applications in OpenOffice 4 to the allowed app list and still cannot save with controlled folder access turned on.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A wild guess - try adding rights to the folder in which you wish to Save.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Try restarting the computer. I have Controlled Folder Access turned on, my Documents folder is protected and only soffice.bin is set as an allowed app. I can save files with Writer and Calc in Documents. If I remove soffice.bin as an allowed app, then I get the general input/output error.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Re: General error or General input/output error opening word where files may be corrupted in the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
catwriter

Post by catwriter »

I turned off my Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender. Then added soffice.exe and swriter.exe as protected apps. That seemed to rewrite my C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\basic dialog.xlc and script.xlc files. I was then able to turn back on Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender and can save, save, save til my heart's content. Hope this helps.
Open Office 3.4 on Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1
starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Bill wrote:Try restarting the computer. I have Controlled Folder Access turned on, my Documents folder is protected and only soffice.bin is set as an allowed app. I can save files with Writer and Calc in Documents. If I remove soffice.bin as an allowed app, then I get the general input/output error.
@Bill How did you manage to add soffice.bin as an allowed app? The user interface in Win10 only allows you to add .com or .exe files???
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10x64
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The hard drive that I used for Windows 10 failed months ago. I can no longer do any testing on Windows 10.
Slowandlow

Post by Slowandlow »

I think this might have to do with the same problem as with getting error- messages (from the notification center) when opening the newly installed OpenOffice. It is the Windows Defender Security Centre that is preventing you from getting access to the Documents folder when trying to save your work written in OpenOffice.

The solution that worked for me was found at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91894&p=435970&hil ... der+access

Follow the steps as provided from "wqi" and make the Powershell entry to allow the file "soffice.bin" to slip through the Windows Defender Security system.

This entry solved both the issue with being able to open the OpenOffice- program without getting an error- message, as did it solve the problem with being (not) able to save documents written in OpenOffice.

Hope this did help you!
BRG/ Örjan.
OpenOffice 4.6.1 Windows 10, 2018 fall update
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
masterrusty

Post by masterrusty »

OMG. I bet all their software is built into the list. Then Microsoft drops this update on people who have all kinds of trusted programs in their computers without telling people what they are doing. Next thing you know you are temporarily crippled until you can puzzle out how Microsoft buggered you.

:evil:
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

masterrusty wrote:OMG. I bet all their software is built into the list. Then Microsoft drops this update on people who have all kinds of trusted programs in their computers without telling people what they are doing. Next thing you know you are temporarily crippled until you can puzzle out how Microsoft buggered you.

:evil:
Yup! You got it!