[Solved] Malwarebytes hits on ransomware in AOO 4.1.4

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
hogwaump

[Solved] Malwarebytes hits on ransomware in AOO 4.1.4

Post by hogwaump »

I've been using 4.1.4 Writer for a while now, with no major problems. In the middle of editing an ODT file, Malwarebytes killed soffice.bin, reporting:

Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic, C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin

I restored the file and scanned it with Malwarebytes, which found nothing to complain about. I fired up OO, seems to work fine, no apparent file corruptions.

Any suggestions? Anybody else having this problem? Freak cosmic-ray event? I don't really know where to go from here.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OO 4.1.5 on Windows 7, 64bit
:knock: Hogwaump, Frumious Borogove in Chief at Bandersnatch, Inc., in charge of Wabe Control Systems. Never once outgrabe at all . . .
hogwaump

Re: Malwarebytes hits on ransomware in OO 4.1.4

Post by hogwaump »

I don't know why the above message reports OO 3.4.0 at the bottom, but the Win 7 is right (64 bit version). OO itself reports 4.1.4
:knock: Hogwaump, Frumious Borogove in Chief at Bandersnatch, Inc., in charge of Wabe Control Systems. Never once outgrabe at all . . .
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I've never seen a report here about Malwarebytes. If you are running MBAM 3 add the directory to the exclusion list.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
hogwaump

Post by hogwaump »

MBAM 3.2.2, database current. I was already leaning toward putting OO on the exclusion list. I'm going to run as is for a few days, see if Malwarebytes kills it again. If so, I'll run this (hopefully false) hit past them.

I've also downloaded the latest LibreOffice, just in case.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I just ran my copy of Malwarebytes version 3.2.2.2029, Component Package 1.0.212, Update Package 1.0.3144 (updated and scan as of 11:11 pm Eastern)
My exclusions list is empty, and Malwarebytes did not report any threats detected
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
hogwaump

Post by hogwaump »

RusselB wrote:I just ran my copy of Malwarebytes version 3.2.2.2029, Component Package 1.0.212, Update Package 1.0.3144 (updated and scan as of 11:11 pm Eastern)
My Malwarebytes was a few minor builds back; I upgraded this morning. So far, no repeats of the ransomware hit. If all goes well, I will close out this issue on Friday.

Thanks to all for your consideration and suggestions.