[Solved, probably] Constant Crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
magnoliasouth

[Solved, probably] Constant Crashing

Post by magnoliasouth »

For the past several versions, I've had problems with OO crashing. I had it on my Vista computer as well as this new Windows 10 computer. Tired of the hassle, I tried LibreOffice and to my dismay, same problem. I cannot create a single slideshow, I can only work on a document or spreadsheet for about 15-20 minutes and then it crashes. As for error messages, I usually get nothing at all, it just either stops working and I have to kill it OR it just disappears right before my eyes. :crazy:

Eons ago, (probably back on XP or even 98!) I made templates that I've reused, though I did not install them on this computer. Mostly due to laziness; they're on my portable hard drive and I'm too lazy to plug it in. :lol:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have (as you know by now) even done a complete clean install on new computers. What could possibly cause both this and Libre to crash? Naturally you'll only help me with OO and that's fine because I much prefer it.
Last edited by magnoliasouth on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Constant Crashing.

Post by thomasjk »

One suggestion is to reset the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426. The other thing to try is to boot into safe mode and see if the crashes continue. If they don't then its possible some program you are using is interfering with AOO. Malware and AV software are possible candidates. Based on your signature you appear to be using an old version of AOO. Have you tried the latest version?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
magnoliasouth

Post by magnoliasouth »

thomasjk wrote:One suggestion is to reset the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426. The other thing to try is to boot into safe mode and see if the crashes continue. If they don't then its possible some program you are using is interfering with AOO. Malware and AV software are possible candidates.
I'll give that a go. Actually, this is a new machine so definitely no malware. I'll try the profile thing but that looks really old since it is using Vista.
thomasjk wrote:Based on your signature you appear to be using an old version of AOO. Have you tried the latest version?
Wow. I don't ever remember adding that signature. :shock: I am using the current version. I downloaded it day before yesterday. It still crashes though.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It can happen that a fresh install of OpenOffice, for whatever reason, generates a corrupted user profile. Normally deleting or renaming the user profile will cause OpenOffice to generate a fresh profile with default values. If that doesn't work, try starting Windows in Safe Mode; if OpenOffice runs OK in that mode, you need to seek out what application or driver that runs in Windows normal mode is causing the problem..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
magnoliasouth

Post by magnoliasouth »

thomasjk wrote:One suggestion is to reset the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426.
magnoliasouth wrote:I'll give that a go.

Well, it looks like this may be solved. I did a couple of things that I knew caused crashes that shouldn't and not a single crash. It needs further testing but that did the trick. Many thanks! :bravo: :super:
shannahk

Re: [Solved, probably] Constant Crashing.

Post by shannahk »

Any additional suggestions? I tried all the suggestions - resetting user profile, restarting in safe mode, and it still crashes as soon as I scroll down to the bottom of the document I'm trying to work on.

Note - this is after I already reinstalled 4.1.4. And of course it's when I have a work deadline for getting a document done today. :cry:
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start windsows in Safe Mode and run OpenOffice; that may allow you finish your document. If OO runs OK in Windows Safe Mode, then the problem is caused by some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode and you need to identify that and remove it or tell it OO is an exception.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shannahk

Post by shannahk »

No, that was one of the things I tried - starting it in safe mode; it still crashed.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Can you confirm that the file you downloaded (from which your installation was done) matches the checksums as described at https://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
If you can:
1) If it does, then I'm stumped at the moment.
2) If it doesn't, then download the installation file again from http://www.openoffice.org/download and verify that the file you are getting is good.
3) If you don't seem to be able to get a good copy (ie: trying two or three times with the same or similar problems), then contact your ISP (internet service provider) and have them do a check on your connection.

If you can't check your current installation, then steps 2 and 3 above are still options.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
shannahk

Post by shannahk »

I really don't think that's gonna do it, even if I can make it through those instructions on the link (which has my head spinning just a little). The problem started before I downloaded the new version, and downloading didn't make it worse, just didn't solve it. And I'm not sure why my internet connection would be an issue? It's working fine for everything else.