[Solved] Problem opening ODS-file

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Patzill

[Solved] Problem opening ODS-file

Post by Patzill »

This is what happens when I try to open a ODS-file (se attachement), what can I do to get it fixed? Other files opens as normal.
Attachments
open problem.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Patrik
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10 Home
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Problem opening ODS-file

Post by thomasjk »

That screen is an indication that your file is corrupt or a format that OpenOffice does not recognize. If you continue what do you see? If you see ################ your file is hopelessly corrupt.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

is it just the one file, or is it all .ods files?
If it's just one, then I have to concur with Tom K.
If it's with all .ods files, then it's a bigger problem. In this case, I would start by having Windows check the integrity of your drive.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You are seeing the ASCII Filter box.

In normal circumstances you only get the ASCII filter box when you open a flat, ASCII file, like a .TXT file created by Notepad. You should not get the ASCII filter box when you open a .odt, .doc or .docx, .ods, xls, xlsx etc file because these are binary files and not ASCII files.

If you get the ASCII filter box when you open a .odt, .doc or .docx, .ods, xls, xlsx etc file it means that the file is not a ZIP file. Experience shows that the file has been completely corrupted and no user data is recoverable - in fact, the file is usually full of NULL characters. If you wish to recover your data you need to find a backup file; find an AutoRecovery file; find the temporary files written by AOO while you were editing the file; or un-delete any of those.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

There are also detailed instructions for how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted - this will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Patzill

Post by Patzill »

Thanks for the help John_Ha! It was the same problem with the temporary file, but I did find a backup. It was pretty old though, but better then nothing!
Patrik
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10 Home