Cut and pasting from other sources

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bluegardenia29

Cut and pasting from other sources

Post by bluegardenia29 »

I want to cut and paste into Open Office an email I sent from my Windows 10 mail. When I open a text document in Open Office I right click on my mouse to paste and nothing shows up...it doesn't allow me to paste...when I right click I get a box that lists several options but no "paste". What am I doing wrong? :crazy:
Open office version 4.1.3 Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Cut and pasting from other sources

Post by Zizi64 »

Are you using a third party clipboard managing software?

Always paste the contents of the foreign sources as Unformatted text, and download the graphical elements before onto your HDD, optimize them, and then insert them into your ODF type documents by the regular way.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
bluegardenia29

Post by bluegardenia29 »

I'm terribly sorry but was that English you were responding in? I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I am not a tech expert just an ordinary user...how do I paste as Unformatted text..how do I get to that? "graphical elements" "HDD" good grief!~! "ODF"??? thank you for trying to help but I just need a very simple step by step process. I do not know what "clipboard management software" is! :crazy:
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bluegardenia29 wrote:I'm terribly sorry but was that English you were responding in? I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I am not a tech expert just an ordinary user...how do I paste as Unformatted text..how do I get to that? "graphical elements" "HDD" good grief!~! "ODF"??? thank you for trying to help but I just need a very simple step by step process. I do not know what "clipboard management software" is! :crazy:
If you don't know what a term means, select the term in your Web browser, then right-click and select "Search Google for...". Quite often, you will find a Wikipedia article that explains the term. As another "ordinary user", I have to do this almost every day.

A Google search can also find instrucions for pasting unformatted text, or look in the Edit Menu which is the usual place for Paste commands in many different applications.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A web search also found a lot of articles about problems with Windows 10 and copy/paste operations - try this search for example.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm terribly sorry but was that English you were responding in?
My English is very poor, but - I think - my words are English... ;)

The Clipboard managing softwares are helper programs for storage more than one copied clipboard content.
These helper softwares often interfere with other softwares and that causes some issues.

The
Paste Special - as Unformatted text
is a useful function of the Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice. It will paste the characters only, but neither the formatting properties nor the grahical elements.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
bluegardenia29

Post by bluegardenia29 »

Thank you! I don't have Clipboard managing software. How do I find the "unformatted text" in Open Office ? I did search but can't find it.
thanks for your help.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can find the function on the toolbar. Click on the little arrow near the Icon:
Unformatted text.png

or hit Shift-Ctrl-V instead of the Ctrl-V (on Windows operating system, AOO Writer application):
Unformatted text2.png
and the choose the Unformatted text option.
bluegardenia29

Post by bluegardenia29 »

thank you that was very helpful however that icon is grayed out on my open office...
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

... that icon is grayed out on my open office...
That means: there is not (yet) any content on the clipboard.
Select and copy (Ctrl-C) something first from the source Email (or from an other place).