Content replaced with #############

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

Content replaced with #############

Postby SkyCamMk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 pm

I used 4.1.2 and upgradced using 4.1.3 successfully for many months

Tonight I was asked to register when I clicked the icon for my main doc >1MB since Dec 2016 and it will not open except to display hundreds of pages filled with ################# on every line

Tried uninstall. repair installation but no joy - any help appreciated

I am in hospital and have no support here
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
SkyCamMk

Re: Content replaced with #############

Postby RoryOF » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 pm

This posting by John_Ha may be useful
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

If the above doesn't work download Recuva from
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
and see if it can find any deleted temporary files containing some or all of the data.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby SkyCamMk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks Rory, I have a backup on a hard drive at home from ast week but I dare not attempt to read it until I know what is wrong, even if i get it sent to me.

Is there a way to run a file recovery as I have only ever seen the auto recovery and I do not know how to access it manually?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
SkyCamMk

Postby RoryOF » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Use recuva and the other methods as I set out above. File recovery will only run if appropriate. The ###marks tell that the file is corrupted beyond repair, probably because the computer was powered off before it had finished writing OO's file to disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to MS Windows