[Solved] Spreadsheets switched to Excel automatically

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Nixxi

[Solved] Spreadsheets switched to Excel automatically

Post by Nixxi »

I am using OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10. I am not a book keeper or accountant, and know very little about it. I am using spreadsheets to do book keeping for my daughter's very small start-up retail business. This morning when I went to do entries, all my spreadsheets opened in Excel, which I have in my computer but have never used and I no longer have any information on open office spread sheets. I much prefer the simplicity of OpenOffice. I have no idea how my information was transferred to excel spreadsheets, or how to get it back into open office. I need to get it into open office as quickly as I can. Does anyone have a solution?
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
RusselB

Re: spreadsheets switched to excel automatically

Post by RusselB »

The good news, is that no information was actually transferred to Excel.
What has happened, is that the file associations have been set to use Excel rather than Open Office (specifically Calc)
Why the associations were changed is harder to determine. Usually it happens when a new program is installed.
One option is to simply reinstall Open Office.
Another is to go through the Windows settings and find where the file extension associations are located. As you are using Windows 10 (which I personally detest), I cannot help with directions on resetting the associations.
I thought there was an item in the Tutorials section for this, but I was unable to find it.
You could also just wait for a Windows 10 user to post a reply.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Nixxi

Re: Spreadsheets switched to Excel automatically

Post by Nixxi »

Thanks so much for setting my mind at ease. I will see what I can find out and do about the file extensions
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You have probably lost the file association between .ods etc files and Calc. Start > Control Panel > Default Programs ..., and set AOO to have all its default file types.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

In Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps or use Cortana to find a link to the settings by clicking Start and typing "Default Programs" (without the quotation marks).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Nixxi

Post by Nixxi »

Thanks. It worked!!