[Solved] Importing fonts other than MS

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
saltcitystamper

[Solved] Importing fonts other than MS

Post by saltcitystamper »

Fonts other than MS will not open in OP. How do I get them to work. Also how do I prevent a second page when creating a document. I am doing verses for cards and do not want to print a blank page before the one I have created
Last edited by saltcitystamper on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
acknak

Re: importing fonts other than ms..

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

OpenOffice should use whatever fonts are installed on the system. If you install new fonts (at the system level, not OO) then you will need to completely exit and re-start OO to get the new fonts.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
saltcitystamper

Re: Importing fonts other than MS

I am setting up a new computer and only have MS fonts at this time. I do have one that is on my Silhouette cutting program and that one will not open. That is why I asked the question. Any suggestions? Thank you
acknak

Post by acknak »

Can you be more specific? What steps did you follow to install the font? Was there any message?

Can you see/preview the font in the system font viewer?

What steps did you use when you say the font does not open?
saltcitystamper

Ok, the Silhouette America program sells fonts for their programs. The one font that I have purchased since getting the new computer is on the font list but will not open. When I had Word, the fonts would open just fine. I am just thinking that maybe I need to try and load that font even though it shows in the font file...do you think that would do it?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, my only thought is that the font may be a type that OO can't use for some reason. It's been a long time since I've seen a font that isn't TTF but they are out there. I'm not sure what further steps to suggest.
saltcitystamper

thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I have been able to load some of my fonts from the other computer, I will keep loading a few at a time when I need them
Thank you again
S, Olson
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I have been able to load some of my fonts from the other computer, I will keep loading a few at a time when I need them
Thank you again
S, Olson
Be careful. Does the license allow you to copy those fonts to an another machine?
(The fonts are softwares with various licences. Use the really free, or opensuorce font families.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
saltcitystamper

They loaded auto on my old computer. I did not want to give up all my saved treasures but when you have a computer that is "gutless" as my nephew calls it, well you just have to resign to losing Win 7 and going to 10 which i TOTALLY hate. I am sure this is Windows thing, I was just hoping it was not. Why do they have to make it so hard...
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

saltcitystamper wrote:I am sure this is Windows thing, I was just hoping it was not.
You were able to use the font on the old computer because it was installed on the old computer. When you switch to a new computer that doesn't have the font installed, then you can't use the font on that computer. The fact that the new computer has Windows 10 doesn't matter. It could be Windows 7, Mac OS, Linux or any other operating system. As long as the font hasn't been installed, it can't be used.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
saltcitystamper

I contacted Silhouette and they sent me the link to download the fonts. Seems they like to keep things in their control..sounds very much like another company.
Thank you so much, its nice to know there is someone to go to for help.
Sharon