Failure to open docx files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
FalconerHenry

Failure to open docx files

Post by FalconerHenry »

On attempting to open docx or doc files by double left click or right click and 'Open with' I get the following error message
-------------------------------------------
Click -to - Run Application Manager

Click - 2 -Run configuration failure
-------------------------------------------

but can open a docx file by dragging it to Open Office icon on desktop.
Is this a problem with Open Office (3.4.1) or with Windows 10 ?

There is no problem opening other formats, e.g. pdf
Open Office 3.4.1
Microsoft Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Failure to open docx files

Post by Zizi64 »

Open Office 3.4.1
Microsoft Windows 10
The OpenOffice 3.4.1 is a very old version. Please upgrade to the latest Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 or to the Libreoffice 5.3.6 Still version, and then update your signature in this forum.

(The LibreOffice has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats. But it is better to use the native, International Standard ODF fileformats.)

...And a new installation will assign the MSO file extensions (filetypes) to the installed software: then the "double click on the filename" type opening procedure will work.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
FalconerHenry

Post by FalconerHenry »

Tibor Kovacs
Thank you for your suggested solution. Unfortunately the problem with docx files persists even with OO 4.1.3. I think the problem must be with the Windows routine following the mouse driver.
My apologies for my delay in replying. I wrote a reply several days ago but I think I did not post it correctly.
Falconer Henry
Open Office 3.4.1
Microsoft Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You have lost the association between .docx and AOO. Search the forum with associate and/or default program for how to fix it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.