Windows 10 Creators Update blanks menus and text

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Fortunato

Windows 10 Creators Update blanks menus and text

Post by Fortunato »

After an involuntary update of Windows 10 (the Windows 10 Creators Update), I was unable to use LibreOffice. All menu text and doc text were invisible, still there but you can't see it (see attached image).
Shows what it should look like vs what it looks like.
Shows what it should look like vs what it looks like.
So I checked my video drivers and found them current, no update needed there.

I upgraded from LibreOffice 5.3.3 Win_x64 to the newest version, LibreOffice 5.4.1 Win_x64. Still no good, the problem continued.

Then, even given the fact that my video drivers were current, I did a clean install of my AMD Radeon drivers to rule out corruption. https://community.amd.com/thread/180667

Still no good so I searched the internet for more ideas. I found a post on this board that looked like the same thing visually, but the solution didn't work for me. It didn't matter which Switchable Graphics settings I used. viewtopic.php?f=101&t=88517

Finally, I rolled back the Creator Update. https://betanews.com/2017/04/11/how-to- ... rs-update/

Now LibreOffice (still on 5.4.1) works normally. This is not a solution, Microsoft is going to force it on me again at some point. So I'm asking if other people have run into this and found a better solution.

Thanks
LibreOffice 5.4.1 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update blanks LibreOffice menus and

Post by RusselB »

This is a problem with the Windows update, not, as best as I can tell, a problem with LibreOffice.
I recommend you check a Windows 10 forum.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Fortunato wrote:I found a post on this board that looked like the same thing visually, but the solution didn't work for me. It didn't matter which Switchable Graphics settings I used. viewtopic.php?f=101&t=88517
That post was about a problem in Windows 7, not in Windows 10 Creators Update, so it appears to be a combination of factors, not solely the Windows 10 Creators Update. There is a link in that thread to a bug report where there is an ongoing discussion about the problem. A patch seems to have fixed the problem for most users, but not all. You can add comments to the bug report that may help in finding and fixing the problem or you may find something in the bug reports that you can use to work around the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Fortunato

Post by Fortunato »

Bill wrote:You can add comments to the bug report that may help in finding and fixing the problem or you may find something in the bug reports that you can use to work around the problem.
Good point. Done.
LibreOffice 5.4.1 on Windows 10
Dogmal

Post by Dogmal »

I had the same problem after installing Windows 10 Creators Update. I can verify that turning off the option 'Use OpenGL for all rendering' in 'LibreOffice' > 'View' fixes the issue.

There are also problems with fonts in Notepad++, where Courier New is blurry. To fix that, I changed the Theme in Style Configurator to Mono Industrial and now use the font "DejaVu Sans Mono."
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10