Change files back to OpenOffice

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
kdebnar

Change files back to OpenOffice

Post by kdebnar »

Recently I downloaded a new version of Open Office (so I thought). However, now all of my documents changed to MS Word. MS Word wants me to sign up for a free trial, or pay to have an account. How do I safely change these files back to Open Office? I am using Windows 10 on a PC. Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.1
Operating System Microsoft
RoryOF

Re: Change files back to Open Office.

Post by RoryOF »

The files have _NOT_ been changed. Only the default application to open them has been changed to MS Office; change the File Association for opening these to point to OpenOffice; this will change their icon. Or simply start OpenOffice and use the navigation button in /File /Open to select any one of these and OO will open it (the icon and default application will not be changed by this method).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kdebnar

Post by kdebnar »

Seems that Open Office is not working properly. When I clicked on Open Office to run it, please see the following error messages:
1. Windows is searching for soffice.exe.
2. soffice.exe has been changed or moved. Nearest match is x:\ProgramFile (x86)\Open Office 4\ program_old\soffice.exe. (I clicked on Fix It).
3. Open Office 4.1.2 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

All of my documents are no longer on MS Office. They are now on Libre Office 5.

Not sure how to safely transfer my documents from Libre Office 5 to Open Office. Do I need to remove Open Office then reinstall it? Will my documents be removed too? Hope not. Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.1
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have you at some stage installed LibreOffice? If your documents are showing a LibreOffice icon then it seems likely.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Despite what some people will tell you, your files are not linked to a specific program. It is the file extension that is linked to the program, and that link can (and quite often) is changed... especially when testing alternative programs ... like Open Office or Libre Office rather than Microsoft Office.

My first suggestion, is to use the Windows Control Panel, find the area for the Programs and Features (that's what it's called on my Windows 7 version), find the installation there, then use the Repair option.
If that option isn't available, or if that doesn't work, then use Revo Uninstaller in it's most aggressive mode to remove Open Office, then get a new copy from http://www.openoffice.org/download and install it.

I note that you state you currently have Libre Office. Is there a reason you want to switch from Libre Office to Open Office? The two suites are very similar.
As to transferring from one program to another, what you really are doing, is reassigning the file extension to a different program, and the process of installing a new program (usually) handles that job automatically,
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
kdebnar

Post by kdebnar »

I have tried the FIX IT feature in Open Office, but that didn't work.
I'm not sure how to use the Repair feature you mentioned.

The reason I want to use Open Office vs Libre is when I open a current document, I use the format to create a new document, with similar paragraphing, bullets, etc. Then I use a Save As to save the new document. When I tried this in Libre, I go to Save As, and I see the following message, "This document may contain formatting that cannot be saved in the currently selected file format. Use the default ODF file format to be sure document is saved correctly." I am asked to click on either Use MS Word format OR Use ODF format. Which one do I use? If I chose ODF format, will that allow me to use both documents in a similar way?

Thanks for your help.
Open Office 4.1.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

As, and I see the following message, "This document may contain formatting that cannot be saved in the currently selected file format. Use the default ODF file format to be sure document is saved correctly." I am asked to click on either Use MS Word format OR Use ODF format. Which one do I use? If I chose ODF format, will that allow me to use both documents in a similar way?
The ODF is the native fileformat of the Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice software packs. The ODF is an International Standard, bot the binary fileformats (.doc, .xls, ...) of the Microsoft never was standardized. The ODF fileformat is the best choice if you want use the AOO or LO safely and effectively.

Note: There is not 100% compatibility between the MS binary formats and the ODF fileformats. (Never was , and never will be.) Maybe you will lost some formatting properties when you convert a document into an another filefomat. Do not forget: the opening and saving procedures of a foreign fileformat file always requires a conversion!

Always use the native ODF fileformats for your important documents. (.odt, .ods, ...) Convert and send A COPY of your document in .pdf, or in MS format when you want to send it for somebody who not know or not use the free office suites.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

kdebnar wrote:Recently I downloaded a new version of Open Office (so I thought). However, now all of my documents changed to MS Word. MS Word wants me to sign up for a free trial, or pay to have an account. How do I safely change these files back to Open Office? I am using Windows 10 on a PC. Thank you.
In the light of the symptoms you describe, I suspect you downloaded a trial copy of Microsoft Office 365 or some other version of their product. The simplest cure is to remove that particular product (Control Panel: Add/Remove programs) and reinstall OpenOffice, perhaps from a fresh download, only from http://www.openoffice.org/download/
DianeWoodrow

Re: Change files back to OpenOffice

Post by DianeWoodrow »

Rory,
I want to say thank you. I went on holiday with files all happily saved in Open Office but as Word docs and came back to them all insisting I try Word. I have followed what you've said about going to Open Office and opening files from there and all has worked wonderfully. Thank you.
Ok so its a bit of a faff but all fine.
Thank you so much :bravo: :bravo:
Diane :)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you were to try any other Office suite, you will find that that has taken control of your files. In all cases you can rectify this by changing the File Association, which tells the operating system which program to use for opening a particular file.
DianeWoodrow

Post by DianeWoodrow »

So how do I change the File Association? :)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It sounds like the file associations on your computer may have been changed by something you have installed or that has been included with a Windows update. I'm assuming that you are unlikely to still be running Windows Vista as your signature suggests, so I can't give you version specific instructions on how to add correct file associations for Apache OpenOffice files.

A web search for change file association windows will probably give a result for whatever Windows version you are using. You might also consider changing your signature to reflect the actual OS and AOO versions you are using. How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The long, but simple, way to change File Associations is to right click on a file of each type for which you wish to change the association - say an .odt file. Right click n one file of that type, and from the popup menu choose the entry for "Open With" and select the application you wish to open that file. (in this case swriter.exe) That only works for the current occasion (i.e., a one-off). At the bottom of the "Open With " window should be an entry "Always use this application to open this type of file) (words to that effect). Select that and the change will be permanent until next time ill-mannered program changes it when installed.

I said this is the long way, as you have to do this for every type f file that you wish an application to open - so for Writer, you need to do it for .odt. doc. rtf etc, for Calc, .ods ,.xls etc ... I understand there may be a simpler way for later Windows, but have no experience with Windows later than XP.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DianeWoodrow wrote:So how do I change the File Association? :)
Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs ..., and Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Google it for more information.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.