[Solved] Shortcuts

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
FredC

[Solved] Shortcuts

Post by FredC »

New installation of OO 4.1.3 to Win 10 Home 64-bit PC. The install process put an Icon for OO on the Desktop, which is fine.
How do I create a separate desktop shortcut for Calc and Writer?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice Calc V3.3.0, Win 7, 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: Shortcuts

Post by RoryOF »

Create shortcuts to swriter.exe and scalc.exe.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FredC

Post by FredC »

I'm impressed with the opacity of the response!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I presumed you knew how to create a shortcut and told you exactly what you needed to know if so.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FredC

Post by FredC »

I've created shortcuts with no problem for Calc and Writer using OO 3.4.1.
But on a new PC with Win 10 64-bit I have a shortcut for OO. But I would appreciate
help with creating shortcuts for Calc and Writer, it just saves a step in accessing each.
The process I used with OO 3.4.1, i.e., going directly to the program files is obscure
to me in OO 4.1.3. And, I'm not familiar with swriter.exe and scalc.exe.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The process of creating the shortcuts is very similar to the process you have stated you've already done.
The differences involve ensuring that the path references point to the 4.1.3 installation (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Open Office 4\program)
In that directory (presuming that you didn't specify a different directory via the custom installation options) you will find the swriter.exe and scalc.exe files
swriter is the name of the executable for Writer (Open Office's version of MS Word) and scalc is the name of the executable for Calc (Open Office's version of Excel)

On a side note, please use the User Control Panel on this forum and update your forum signature to correctly reflect the version of Open Office and the OS (operating system) that you are using, as responses to further questions may have different responses based on the OS and/or Open Office version that you are using.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FredC

Post by FredC »

That worked. I just needed help with the correct path. Even for those of us who are STEM literate
we don't do an OO install every day. Thanks to the kind person who helped me.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The install process put an Icon for OO on the Desktop, which is fine.
Note for future reference that you can check the properties of this, or any, shortcut icon to determine the path to the object it points to. Right click on the icon...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
FredC

Post by FredC »

Thanks again.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

On Windows 10, you can right-click OpenOffice on the Start Menu and select More > Open file location to open the folder containing the OpenOffice program shortcuts. You can then right-click the shortcuts and select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
FredC

Post by FredC »

Thanks, that's an even shorter method. Even for those of us who are STEM literate, we don't
necessarily bring up a new computer, do a fresh install of Win 10, and install OO every day.