[Solved] Converting document formats

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Gwage

[Solved] Converting document formats

Post by Gwage »

The following problem occurred on my laptop, which has Windows 10 OS and Open Office 4.1.3.
Because of an accidental selection in the 'properties' box, I converted all of my written documents into DOC files (wordpad). Some of the files were WORD and some were ODT, however, all of them were transformed.
Please can anyone tell me how to convert them all back, without having to select and convert each file separately? So far all of my attempts have failed and there are too many files to convert singly.
Thank you in advance and in hope.
Gwage
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10 OS.
RoryOF

Re: Converting document formats

Post by RoryOF »

Start OpenOffice, and look at /File /Wizards /Document converter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Gwage wrote:The following problem occurred on my laptop, which has Windows 10 OS and Open Office 4.1.3.
Because of an accidental selection in the 'properties' box, I converted all of my written documents into DOC files (wordpad). Some of the files were WORD and some were ODT, however, all of them were transformed.
You probably changed the "Opens with" setting from OpenOffice Writer to WordPad. Just change the setting back from WordPad to OpenOffice Writer. This is an operating system setting which changes the Default Program. It doesn't actually change any documents.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Gwage

Post by Gwage »

After some messing about,the problem is solved. Thank you for the suggestions.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10 OS.